freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
freestocks 9rHgOVRdrDM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things to Consider Before Going on Vacation with your Significant Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Planning a vacation with your significant other seems like a great opportunity to spend tons of time together, have a hotel room all to yourselves, and create amazing memories.  It can be all of these things, but if it’s your first time going on a big trip with your boo, there are definitely some important things to think about.

Expenses

Everyone knows that vacations can be expensive.  There are a lot of big purchases that need to be made, such as flights, hotel rooms, rental cars, gas and all that important stuff.  While you and your S.O. might be used to trading off or splitting the check when you go out to dinner, this can get tricky when buying these things and when you are eating every meal together.  Make sure you two talk before going away about who is going to pay for what and whether there are any budgets you want to maintain.

Planning ahead

Even the best relationships can descend into the dreaded conversation of, “I don’t care, what do you want to do?”  To help avoid this, figure out a rough list of things you both want to do or see while you’re away, and make a note of when certain attractions are open.  You don’t have to plan out every second of your vacation, but having a list on hand that you know you both agree on can help beat those awkward lulls. 

It’s OK to divide and conquer

Speaking of things to do, it is very possible that there will be things that you want to do that your partner doesn’t, and vice versa.  It’s important to remember that you are each here to enjoy your own vacation, and while you love spending time together, it’s OK to spend some time alone.  Especially if you are visiting another country that you aren’t likely to return to, it’s completely fine if you really want to check out that art museum, but they’d much rather check out that world-renown cafe. There’s no reason to make each other miserable- for example, my boyfriend golfs and I don’t, but I had no problem relaxing by the pool while he played 18 holes.

Personal space

If you two don’t live together, chances are you and your S.O. don’t spend much more than two straight days together at a time.  You may not know all of each other’s habits and pet peeves.  Bottom line: be respectful and communicate.  If it drives you crazy that they leave a blob of toothpaste in the sink, it won’t be a big deal if you let them know.  On the flip side, be open to whatever they have to say about you. Relationships are a two-way street, and so are vacations.

Have fun!

This goes without saying, but a vacation is a great chance for you to get to know your S.O. even better, laugh and escape from everyday life.  Don’t be afraid to try something new- it will be even better if you try it together! And who wouldn’t look back fondly at the time your boyfriend fell into the water during that stand-up paddleboard lesson?

Also, try to leave the drama at home- even if you have an issue going on in your relationship, you might want to table it until after you get home.  There’s no sense ruining an amazing (and costly) trip  with an argument. It can wait.

Bon voyage, collegiettes! 

[All unlinked images labeled for resuse by Creative Commons.]

Sarah is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus UConn. She is a Communication and Journalism major at the University of Connecticut newly suffering from the travel bug after a summer in Spain and an obsession with all things UConn Husky Basketball.