Chordials
Chordials
Nicole McDonald
Life > Experiences

The UConn Chordials: A Deep Dive into Singing and Sisterhood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The UConn Chordials is an all-female-identifying a cappella group on campus. It was established in 1998 and was actually the first all-female group at UConn. I remember when I first saw the group perform at the Fall 2019 Rush Concert, and I was like, dang, I need to be a part of that. So, I auditioned and got a callback. After my callback, I got a call at 1:30 am the next morning saying I earned a spot in the group. And after that moment, (prepare for something cliche), my experience at UConn completely changed for the better.

exploring women empowerment through music

At the end of every semester, we all sit together, order pizza, and submit song suggestions for the group. This is one of the more fun parts of the semester because we get to choose what songs we will perform in the future. So of course, we like to pick songs that ultimately express our dislike of men. For example, we’ve performed “If I Were A Boy” by Beyonce, “God Is A Woman” by Ariana Grande, and “Good Thing” by Kehlani. It’s so much easier to be empowered by music when you can really relate to the message, you know? Also, singing these songs acts as an outlet for everyone to let go of suppressed emotions. Sometimes there are tears, other times there is laughter. But showing emotion is what makes the music that much better.

a sense of sisterhood (without the monthly dues)

I love being a part of this group for various reasons. Besides making beautiful music, I have had the opportunity to make life-long friends. Coming into UConn, I was nervous. I just transferred from a very small college in Florida, and I was scared that I wasn’t going to find my people. But I did. We have wine-nights, shop, get our nails done, go out to eat, and go apple picking like a cute ‘lil family. Not only do we do fun things together, but we lift each other up when somebody is feeling down. We spend so much time with each other, we know when the vibes are off and act accordingly. We bring Insomnia Cookies to rehearsal just because, buy each other little gifts, and get Oreo Ice cream cakes when it’s somebody’s birthday. The point is, we love each other.

“I joined the Chordials to be a part of a talented, strong, and passionate group of women that share the same love for music that I do.”

Caroline Castle, UConn Chordials, ’22

finding my place at uconn

It’s safe to say that without the UConn Chordials, my experience at UConn would be so anti-climatic it’s not even funny. I have something to look forward to three times a week to take my mind off of writing literature reviews and other boring stuff. Being a part of this group is challenging and demanding, but so worth the outcome. I almost didn’t audition for the group due to self-doubt, but I am so happy I pushed myself to. Without that extra push, I would not have the self-confidence to sing a solo in front of my peers or sing in front of hundreds of people in Jorgenson theater. But most importantly, I wouldn’t have the honor of calling these girls my best friends.

(PS: we hold auditions every semester, and would love to hear you :))

Find us at @uconn_chordials on Instagram!

Hello!!! My name is Nicole and I am a Senior Allied Health major at the University of Connecticut :)