The Need To Know: Selena Gomez v. Hailey Bieber

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

You may have noticed there’s been a rise in talk about Selena Gomez and Hailey Bieber, but you may not quite be sure what the drama is all about. It all started with a TikTok where Selena shared her new laminated brows, which was then later followed by an Instagram story by Kylie Jenner of her eyebrows with the caption, “This was an accident?” as well as a screenshot of a FaceTime between her and her bestie, Hailey Bieber. Fans speculated that this was an attempt to shame and mock Selena Gomez.

As a result, Kylie and Hailey have been receiving a lot of backlash, and people have gone as far as to accuse them of being “mean girls.” The two have lost nearly a million followers on Instagram, while Selena on the other hand has gained almost 10 million. To combat this, Kylie was seen commenting under a popular TikTok that fans are just “reaching” and that the girls would never do anything to shade or diss Selena. Under her replies, Selena even agrees and states that she’s a “fan” of Kylie.

Nonetheless, social media has become a war-zone — either you’re on Team Selena or Team Hailey. There have been many announcements stating which celebrities have unfollowed Hailey and followed Selena.

Many believe that Hailey Bieber and her friends, the Jenners, have always had it out for Selena because of her past relationship with Hailey’s now husband, Justin Bieber. Fans claim Hailey has always been jealous of Selena and have pulled out receipts such as old Instagram comments and tweets to prove that this is not new behavior. It was even shown in this TikTok that Hailey was caught following and unfollowing a known Selena Gomez hate account on Twitter.

@selenerita

“People really wanted to paint this picture of me like I was like this mean girl, who’s a bully who like hates every other woman…. that’s so not me at all” come again? @haileybieber #AXERatioChallenge #selenagomez #selenatiktok #selenator #haileybaldwin #haileybieber #kyliejenner #meangirls #meangirl #fyp #fypシ #fypage #foryou #foryoupage #explore #drama #deepdive #alexrusso #jelena #obsessed

♬ Calm Down – Rema & Selena Gomez

As you may know, Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber have had an on-again-off-again relationship since 2010. They were last seen together in 2018, around March, and officially called it off in May. It was then reported that Hailey and Justin were dating by June 2018 and then engaged a month later. You might recognize the line “In 2 months, you replaced us” from Selena’s song, “Lose You To Love Me,” where she expresses her heartache caused by the recent breakup. The song is very telling of the type of relationship she and Justin shared, and she even says in an interview with Ryan Seacrest, “I’m really grateful, too, because I’ve experienced that a million times before.”

Unsurprisingly, Justin also admits that some of his songs are inspired by Selena Gomez, such as “Heartbreaker,” “All That Matters,” and “What Do You Mean.” Despite the many ups and downs the two have seen, they still wish each other the best and you can even feel the love they have through the Instagram posts Justin keeps on his profile.

Justin Bieber supposedly broke his silence over the drama after his recent birthday, when he shared a souvenir that was engraved with the words “I’m so grateful that I didn’t end up with what I thought I wanted.” This may or may not be a reference to his past relationship with Selena, but some have still accused him of being “obsessed.”

At the end of it all, Selena wishes that her fans be kinder and commented in a recent TikTok makeup tutorial, “My heart has been heavy and I only want good for everyone. All my love.”

Tatyana is a driven individual, balancing her role as a dedicated nursing aide with her pursuit of higher education in human development. Her ultimate aspiration is to become a registered nurse, a testament to her commitment to healthcare and helping others. Beyond her professional pursuits, Tatyana is fueled by a deep passion for empowering young women and engaging in conversations about mental health and self-growth. She's incredibly girly, with a slight obsession with all things pink and an undying love for her cat, Hallie.