Life > Experiences

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year: Preparing For The UConn Basketball Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Storrs, Connecticut: The Basketball Capital of the World. 

If you are anything like me, you have been eager for basketball season to start up again ever since Coach Dan Hurley led the men’s basketball team to the program’s fifth national championship title last April. In addition to a promising season for the men’s team, Geno Auriemma’s women’s team is looking to have a successful season as well with a seemingly healthy team and the return of star guard Paige Bueckers. 

As a UConn basketball super-fan, here are some key things you should know as the campus prepares for the first basketball games of the season. On Nov. 4, the women’s team tips off in Gampel Pavilion for an exhibition game against Southern Connecticut State, and the men’s team tips off in Gampel on Nov. 6 against Northern Arizona.

In the AP pre-season rankings, the women’s team is ranked second and the men’s team is ranked sixth. UConn is the only school in the country with both teams in the top-10 preseason poll. UConn is not referred to as a basketball school for nothing.

1. How to attend:

Here at UConn, students are extremely fortunate to have lots of convenience when trying to attend sporting events. Unlike some other big schools, sports tickets for UConn students are completely free, which is a good thing for us college kids who are always in need of just a few more dollars. Tickets are just a few clicks away and typically go on “sale” about two weeks before game night. Another convenient aspect of the season is that about half of the home games are hosted right here on campus. Gampel Pavilion is walking distance from all on-campus residence halls which makes it easy for students to get to games without having to worry about finding someone with a car, parking, designated drivers, etc. The other half of home games are held at the XL Center in Hartford, about a 30-minute drive from campus. Although it requires more planning, the school typically holds fan buses that will bring students to and from the game. 

2. Game etiquette:

One thing that UConn definitely has is school spirit. It is a necessity that every fan comes decked in their UConn colors whether that be shirts, jerseys, hair bows, face tattoos, etc. The UConn bookstore is located directly next to Gampel Pavilion in case you need a last-minute shopping trip. Another critical thing to remember is the cheering. It is an expectation for all of the fans to stand and clap at the start of the game, and at the start of the second half, until UConn scores. It is also common that you hear certain UConn cheers multiple times throughout the game so be ready to join in (and most likely get them stuck in your head). The atmosphere in Gampel is top-tier. Students are standing, young families and alumni are packing the stands, and everyone is cheering on the Huskies.  

3. Knowing the Team and Schedule:

Although both teams are looking to have a successful season, there are definitely some significant changes to the roster. The men’s team lost a few players to graduation and the transfer portal as well as the big three; Andre Jackson Jr., Jordan Hawkins, and Adama Sanogo to the NBA. The women’s team is looking a bit more familiar after just Dorka Juhász and Lou Lopez Senechal left the team for the WNBA. Both teams appear to have a strong freshmen class. Due to my dad and I’s UConn basketball obsession (he even bought a piece of the old Gampel Court), I basically have the roster and schedule drilled into my brain, which has been beneficial during the season. When watching the games, it is so much easier to know the roster instead of asking your friends “Who is that”, or “Who just scored” every other play. It is also good to know when the games are happening so you and your friends can be sure to claim your tickets on time and before they sell out!

Men’s Roster 

Men’s Schedule 

Women’s Roster 

Women’s Schedule

Basketball season here at UConn is one of my favorite parts about being a Husky. It brings the student body together in an upbeat atmosphere. I would 100% recommend tuning in this season. Who knows, maybe UConn will bring home another ring!

Sophie McAvay is a member of the U Conn Her Campus chapter. She is a junior majoring in Human Development and Family Sciences. In her free time she loves to read, run, listen to music, and hang out with friends and family.