The Key to College: Don’t Compare Yourself to Others!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In college it is so easy to get caught up in comparing yourself to others. It seems like everyone has everything figured out, as people talk about their accomplishments and share what they’re up to. You may get worried when other people talk about doing research, internships, taking lots of credits, going abroad, or getting part time jobs that relate to their future plans. Society makes it normal to overwork yourself when you start feeling like you’re not doing enough, as you start making these comparisons of yourself to others. 

As a Political Science major, everyone expects you to either go to law school after undergrad, or have some sort of detailed route if that isn’t the case. I’ve gotten used to the questions of what my plans are after graduation, and it often makes me overwhelmed. I’m only 19 and a sophomore — I know I have the time to figure these things out, yet other people continuously make me feel like I’m not doing enough. 

The reality is that everyone has their own interests and can move at their own pace. Not everyone’s path can be the same. The right internship will fall into place at the right time. You’re taking enough classes; you’re not behind; you’re on the right track. It’s okay if you don’t know what kind of job you want for the rest of your life; most people switch careers many times or end up unhappy with the job they always wanted. It’s okay if you don’t know what kind of master’s degree you want or what state you want to end up in after graduation. The truth is, there are plenty of people that don’t know all the answers and it’s time to stop comparing yourself to others. 

It is so easy to get caught in a cycle of wanting to overwork yourself just because you feel like you need to be doing more. Grades do not define who you are and neither does the amount of things you accomplish. You’re in a competition with yourself, not others!

Christina is a sophomore Political Science major at the University of Connecticut. She enjoys spending time with her friends, dogs, and writing!