Clyde\'s Cider Mill
Clyde\'s Cider Mill
Original photo by Hayley Wheeler
Life > Experiences

The In-Cider Information On Clyde’s Cider Mill & Why You Should Visit This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Looking for a fun fall-themed location to get away from the stress of academics and college? B.F. Clyde’s Cider Mill located in Mystic, Connecticut is just about an hour away from the main UConn campus, and you do not want to miss visiting the mill this fall.

Known as the oldest steam-powered cider mill in the entire United States, it was built and established in 1881 and is still running today! Visitors are able to watch the mill in action, pressing apples and blowing out steam, via open barn doors and windows of the mill factory located right on site. Now that you know a little history behind the place, here are the yummy bits of info!

Round of Apple-Ause For The Goodies!

B.F. Clyde’s has their very own general store, full of jams and jellies, bakery mixes, sweet treats, and authentic apple cider and cider donuts. Be sure not to miss out on these, especially when the cider donuts come warm and fresh out of the oven in the mornings and early afternoons! When it comes to the cider, they sell it in all forms and fashion; in slushies and sippy cups, by the galloon, or even as wine and hard cellar brews!

I would recommend getting the ol’ cider slushy and donut combo — stick the donut into the slushy straw, and you have yourself the true Clyde’s treasure! They also sell decorations, pumpkins, merch, and everything you could possibly wish for in fall!

The cider mill has plenty of outdoor seating and tables for friends and families to come and sit down, relax, and enjoy the fall scenery and the heavenly scent of warm apples. For those of you who tend to wake up later, I would not advise going after 10 a.m. on weekends — late morning to early afternoon is their busiest time this season! Try aiming for very early; before 10 a.m., or go during the week when it is not as busy and kids are in school. It is a beautiful scenic drive down to Mystic from Storrs, so I would suggest checking out some of the other local places listed below during your time in town!

Looking for Other Local ACtivities?

For the full apple-loving experience, Holmberg Orchards is only a 20-minute drive from the cider mill. This location offers apple and fruit picking, pumpkin patches, a corn maze, a farm market with a built-in bakery, and its own winery for visitors to explore, buy, pick, and enjoy!

Olde Mystic Village, which is right down the road from the cider mill, has dozens of shops, toy stores, restaurants, a movie theatre, and general stores for you to check out. They also are hosting their second annual Apple Festival, which is held on Oct. 21 and 22, and “Scarecrows in the Village” which is going on now until Oct. 22! Stonington Vineyards is the next town over, with some of the most beautiful vineyard views and tastes of the state.

Mystic Aquarium is right across the street from Mystic Village, so if you are a marine mammal lover like I am, purchase a day pass and go pet some rays! (they usually have seasonal and student discounts, so check out their website linked above!) My personal favorite place is Downtown Mystic and the Mystic Drawbridge — this area of town has a more coastal vibe than Mystic Village, with shops, restaurants, ice cream, and boutiques all up and down the street. The season is already getting chillier, so I would suggest bundling up to combat the cooler ocean air to walk around.

The address for B.F Clyde’s Cider Mill is: 129 N Stonington Rd, Mystic, CT 06355, and their website is linked above. Now is the time to get out there and fall into autumn, so get together those cute and cozy outfits and head down to B.F. Clyde’s Cider Mill this weekend!

Hayley is a senior at the University of Connecticut pursuing an Environmental Studies degree. Following graduation, she is looking to enter a sustainability or eco marine-related career field, where she can help combat global climate change and protect fragile ecosystems on our planet. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Hayley loves to listen to music, go to the beach, create mood boards of her future home and find new coffee spots!