Life > Experiences

The Home Stretch Of Fall Semester: 5 Tips To Get You Through

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The holidays are almost upon us! Which is crazy to say since it feels like move-in day was yesterday, but sadly we’re all in the awkward post-midterms, almost finals slump. I think the only thing getting most of us through is the thought of Thanksgiving break and those last few moments of rest before the craziness of final essays and exam studying. Below I’ve compiled a list of four tips to get you through the rest of this whirlwind of a semester!

1. Grab a Coffee… Maybe a few

I, for one, am a huge coffee girl, especially during finals season! So before you camp out in Homer Babbidge, grab your favorite holiday drink. You deserve it.

Use grabbing a coffee as your motivation to get on campus and start that studying! I know the next few weeks are going to be filled with stress and cramming but I believe in you… and so does Starbucks!

2. Make time for you

The most vital aspect of getting your finals done is YOU! Make sure you’re staying on top of your health because at the end of the day that’s the most important thing. Yes, grades are a major concern for us all, but your mental and physical well-being should always be the number one priority.

Carve some time out to hit the Rec Center, go for a walk with friends, or get food from your favorite lunch spot.

If you’re feeling a little extra tired while studying, taking a break is completely okay, your work won’t get done unless your body is in good condition! I personally always get a little antsy when I’m doing anything, but taking a break while doing work is more than allowed! Make sure to dedicate some time to yourself these next few weeks.

3. Organization is key

I have to say the trickiest aspect of college has to be finding that balance between managing weekly coursework and studying for upcoming exams. Keeping a weekly agenda has easily become my best friend over the past year. Whether it’s creating an aesthetic Google Calendar, keeping a planner, or even just jotting down assignments on a sticky note; keep organized.

Especially when you have a million and one essays, math assignments, and exams all due in one week! Keeping everything written down in one place saves us all from the stress of missing a due date or cramming in an assignment last minute.

4. Make time for family and friends

Don’t forget that Thanksgiving break is right around the corner! This is the perfect week to rest and relax before the finals madness starts, make sure to take time to spend it with the ones you love.

Whether it’s catching up with your hometown friends, having a family dinner, or going shopping with your siblings — make the most out of the time you have with them. Having a support system of your family or friends is much needed and is bound to give you that little push of motivation we all need this time of year.

5. Keep your mind On the positive Side

Yes, this time of the year is the absolute worst but try to keep in mind all the good coming your way! Focus on the nice long winter break and a fresh new semester that’s coming your way. The most important thing is simply trying your best, if you don’t ace that final it’s not the end of the world. This may be the most cliche thing like ever but… good things will come to you if you focus on the good! It’s easier said than done but don’t stress all the little things during this final stretch.

I hope this article leaves you with a few tidbits to get you through, we’re almost there!

Gianna is a sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying Communication. She enjoys shopping, getting coffee, and taking pictures (mostly of her dog)! Gianna enjoys writing about anything from fashion, to music, or relatable lifestyle content specifically for college aged women. In her future Gianna hopes to start a career in public relations and/or marketing. She has always had a passion for writing and believes that HerCampus is an incredible outlet for other women with the same passion! In her free time Gianna loves spending time with friends, staying active, and taking millions of sunset pictures.