The Best Nostalgic Halloween Movies to Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

October is the best time to wrap up in a cozy blanket and turn on your favorite Halloween movie. The movies I have selected for this list are more on the Disney Channel Original Movie, family-friendly, non-horror side. If these movies don’t put you in a nostalgic Halloween mood, I don’t know what will.

#10: twitches too (2007)

In this sequel to the classic Disney Channel Original Movie (DCOM) Twitches, twin witches Alex and Camryn are back after finding out that their biological father might still be alive. The sisters must again work together to fight against the powers of evil and save their magic.

Where to watch: Disney+ or Hulu premium

#9: halloweentown ii: Kalabar’s revenge (2001)

In another classic DCOM sequel, the Piper-Cromwell family is adjusting to living a semi-normal, semi-magic life when a new neighbor comes to town with a big secret. Marnie and her family must save Halloweentown from an evil spell that turns the residents into “normal” people and the humans of the real world into monsters. It’s hard to go wrong with any movie from the Halloweentown franchise.

Where to watch: Hulu premium, Sling TV, or Disney+

#8: the nightmare before christmas (1993)

If any one person can do a Halloween movie, it’s Tim Burton. This movie follows the pumpkin king of Halloween Town (a different Halloween Town than the DCOM), Jack Skellington, who gets bored of his great holiday. He becomes enticed by Christmas and plots to take over the role of Santa Claus. The imagery and music of this film will totally get you into the Halloween spirit.

Where to watch: Disney+

#7: scream (1996)

While it may be on the scarier side, this movie will still manage to make you laugh. It follows a teenage girl and her friends who are terrorized by a masked knife killer. Starring Drew Barrymore, David Arquette, Courtney Cox, Matthew Lillard, and more, it’s not a film you want to miss this Halloween.

Where to watch: Sling TV

#6: the addams family (1991)

The family that embodies this season is without a doubt the Addams family. When the missing brother of Gomez Addams reappears, the family goes from thrilled to suspicious after he doesn’t seem to be who he claims to be. Although they may seem scary, the Addams family are full of charm.

Where to watch: Pluto TV

#5 twitches (2005)

What’s better than Twitches Too? Twitches! In the movie that started it all, strangers Alex and Camryn are reunited on their 21st birthday to not only find out that they are twins, but also witches. Tia and Tamara Mowry are absolutely iconic in this movie, as well as their charming guardians played by Jennifer Robertson and Pat Kelly.

Where to watch: Disney+ or Hulu premium

#4: return to halloweentown (2006)

To some, rating this movie so high might be blasphemous considering how they changed the lead actress from Kimberly J. Brown to Sara Paxton. Both actresses did a great job playing the role of Marnie Piper, but Kimberly is the OG. Despite this, Return to Halloweentown gives the ultimate Halloween feels as Marnie and her brother Dylan head off to Witch University in Halloweentown. As the other Halloweentown movies go, Marnie and her family must save the town from evil forces who try to control her magic. My favorite part of this movie is when Marnie travels back in time to see her grandmother, giving the best historical spooky vibes.

#3: halloweentown high (2004)

One of the best films in the Halloweentown franchise has to be Halloweentown High. Marnie and her family decide to host a group of exchange students from Halloweentown to show that humans and Halloweentown residents aren’t all that different. Of course, there is an evil force they must fight, but it all works out in the end (spoiler). Not to mention, it includes appearances from High School Musical actors Lucas Grabeel and Oleysa Rulin.

Where to watch: Disney+

#2: Hocus pocus (1993)

What’s Halloween without Hocus Pocus? Taking place in Salem, Massachusetts, teenager Max along with his sister and new friend accidentally free a coven of evil witches. Black cats, evil witches, and zombies add to the Halloween vibes and it doesn’t get much better than having Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy as the iconic Sanderson sisters.

Where to watch: Disney+

#1: halloweentown (1998)

I had to put this classic DCOM as number one. It doesn’t feel like Halloween until I watch this movie every October. In the movie that started it all, Marnie Piper is a Halloween-obsessed 13-year old who finds out she is actually a witch. Marnie and her siblings follow their grandmother to Halloweentown, where everything is not as it seems. They must work together to save Halloweentown from an evil force and get their mother to let them practice witchcraft. A Halloween must-watch!

Where to watch: Disney+ or Hulu premium

Kayleigh is a senior at the University of Connecticut, studying Political Science with minors in French and History. She loves books, Gilmore Girls, fashion, and anything coffee-related.