This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

With the holidays approaching, it’s time to start making those holiday wish lists. Every year, I know there’s so much that I want but when I have to sit down and make a list my mind goes blank. That being said, here’s my advice on good gifts I’ve gotten and some that I want this year as a college student.

1. Good Walking Shoes

Every good college student knows that you spend the majority of your days walking around. Between walking from my apartment, going to the gym, and walking to classes, I wear down shoes like nobody’s business. Some good walking shoes are an excellent investment every holiday season; I like Adidas sneakers or my L.L. Bean boots in the winter.

2. Brita Filter

A Brita is a must-have for every college student, especially in the dorms, so if you don’t have a Brita I’d recommend asking for one. I use my Brita every day and it’s absolutely perfect if I don’t want to walk to a water fountain or don’t have one in my building. To go along with this, I have water flavorings that I like to add to my water which could also be fun to order.

3. Favorite Snacks

Everyone’s got their favorite snacks to eat in college, whether it be Oreos, popcorn, or chocolate. I would recommend asking for massive amounts of those snacks so that you can be set for the spring semester. Personally, I’ve been on a big Mentos kick lately, so I will be asking everyone and anyone for Mentos. However, remember to balance unhealthy food with healthy snacks like dried fruits or roasted vegetables to ensure you’re getting all of your nutrients while studying!

Trader Joe'S
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

4. Bluetooth Speaker

A Bluetooth speaker is one of the things I’m asking for this year and something I wish I’d asked for sooner. Going into college I was like, “when am I ever going to need a speaker” and now I realize how wrong I was. My friends and roommates use their speakers for anything from pre-games to sitting outside on a nice day and I was definitely underestimating its necessity.

5. Hammock

If you live somewhere with some nice trees, a hammock could be a great option. My friends and I love to hammock in the fall between classes and on the weekends to relax and spend time together. Hammocking is a fun way for me to get out of the classrooms and buildings in the warm weather and spend some time outside. You could also take a weekend hike or camping trip and a hammock would be a great addition to that!

6. Revlon Hair Dryer

The Revlon hair dryer is an absolute lifesaver when you’re in a time crunch. I am a big fan of showering at night and then I let my hair air dry. In the morning, you can blow out your hair with a Revlon brush in about five minutes! It comes in two styles so you can either straighten or curl your hair. I have both (because I love them so much) and both are brush-shaped so you just brush your hair and it comes out perfect.

7. Gold Hoops

Gold hoops are a timeless look that can add to any outfit. I have smaller thick gold hoops that I can pop on to make my outfit look a bit more put together. They’re also super versatile and can go with anything from a sweatshirt and sweatpants to a going-out outfit. Gold hoops are also a great piece of jewelry to ask for because they match a lot of other types of jewelry and aren’t super expensive.

8. Sweatsuit 

Sweatsuits are in right now and I am here for it. I love the monochrome fits and they’re super easy to throw on when I have my 8ams. Sweatsuits are perfect for lounging around and as a college student, I am more than happy to wear them to classes. This is also a great idea if you’re looking to get matching gifts with friends or an S.O.!

9. Air fryer

An air fryer is another item that I definitely underestimated my use of in college. This is a really important one if you live in an apartment or are thinking about living in an apartment in the future. My roommates and I make the majority of our meals in the air fryer and it’s perfect to heat up a snack (my go-to is mozzarella sticks) after a night out. They’re also not super expensive if you buy them from certain stores!

10. Hydroflask 

A Hydroflask or water bottle is the ultimate must-have in college. Hydration is essential for every aspect of your day and making sure that you can pay attention and be productive. If you don’t have a reusable water bottle I HIGHLY recommend asking for one (and you can fill it with your new Brita!) because it was probably the best thing I asked for in college.

Happy Holidays— I hope you get everything that you asked for!! I hope these will help to expand your list or get you started if you were at a loss for what to ask for :)

Madison is a junior Physiology and Neurobiology major. When she's not writing for Her Campus she enjoys baking, reading, and volunteering with Alpha Omicron Pi.