This Thanksgiving, Some Stores Will Stay Closed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

What does your Thanksgiving evening entail? Do you spend the evening in a turkey induced coma attempting to play games and talk with your family, or do you put on your coat to go wait in line to start your Black Friday extra early? While everyone has their traditions, this year, if you and your family like to get a jump start on your shopping, there will be a few stores who will not be open for business on Thanksgiving.

Stores Closed for Business On Thanksgiving:

In efforts to give their employees a real holiday, these stores will not be opening their doors at all on Thanksgiving. They will however be open for Black Friday (hours vary). With all of the commercialism around this holiday, these closings are to remind us why we have this day off. It is in hopes that people, both shoppers and employees, will be able to spend more time with their families. Many other stores are open to increase revenue but will not be giving their employees any time off. DSW released a statement as to why they will be risking a drop in sales for this holiday.

There will be one big store that will not even be opening for Black Friday. REI, the sporting good store will be closing all their stores and are encouraging employees and customers to “#optoutside”.

“For 76 years, our co-op has been dedicated to one thing and one thing only: a life outdoors. We believe that being outside makes our lives better. And Black Friday is the perfect time to remind ourselves of this essential truth…We’re a different kind of company—and while the rest of the world is fighting it out in the aisles, we’ll be spending our day a little differently. We’re choosing to opt outside, and want you to come with us.” Said Jerry Stritzke, President and CEO of REI.

So what will you do? While some sales out there are practically stealing, REI is onto something. Putting the focus of this family oriented holiday back on the idea of family isn’t a bad idea. Another alternative to shopping this holiday season is waiting for Saturday. Saturday is called “Small Business Saturday”. If you live in an area that has lots of small artistry shops or stores owned by community members, take the day to look for your family’s gifts there instead of a big box stores.

All in all, if you belong to a family of shoppers, enjoy your traditions. If you are looking to avoid the big crazy crowds, try shopping on Saturday. Or, take the challenge and #OPTOUTSIDE!

I am from a small New Hampshire town you have probably never heard of before. I am always active and on the go, soccer, lacrosse, hiking, skiing, running and even horse back riding. I am shamelessly in love with every member of the Boston Red Sox as well as my border collie/aussie mix of a pup, Sophie. I am a physiology and neurobiology major here at Uconn and if I could be any one in the world other than myself I would be Christina Yang from Greys Anatomy