Taylor Swift Songs To Listen To For Valentine’s Day 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Valentine’s Day 2022 is quickly approaching. Whether you’re going to be completely in love or completely heartbroken this Valentine’s Day, Taylor Swift has got you covered. The queen of songwriting’s discography definitely has a broad range. Here are some Taylor Swift songs to listen to this Valentine’s Day – no matter what your plans entail. 

Songs for those in love & the hopeless romantics: 

1. Fearless (Taylor’s Version)

“Fearless,” the title track of Swift’s second album, is a fictionalized account of Swift’s ideal first date (according to 2008 Taylor, at least). Even if you aren’t a fan of Swift’s country roots, the song is definitely worth a listen. “Fearless” is a snapshot of naive, young love and will likely put a smile on your face.

Best Lyric: “It’s the first kiss, it’s flawless, really something, it’s fearless”

2. Love Story (Taylor’s Version)

Chance’s are you already know this 2008 chart-topping hit, but who doesn’t love a good throwback? Based on Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, “Love Story” details the perfect fairytale. 

Best Lyric: “This love is difficult, but it’s real. Don’t be afraid, we’ll make it out of this mess. It’s a love story, baby, just say, ‘Yes.’”

Love Story GIF by Taylor Swift - Find & Share on GIPHY

3. Enchanted

Enchanted, off of the Speak Now album, tells the story of Swift having a magical encounter with a crush at a party. The song is sweet and innocent and has feelings of yearning without the pain of unrequited love (Fun fact: the song has been confirmed to be about Adam Young, who is most well-known for singing the Owl City song “Fireflies”).

Best Lyric: “My thoughts will echo your name until I see you again”

3. Come Back… Be Here (Taylor’s Version)

If you’ll be apart from your partner this v-day, this song recommendation is for you. “Come Back … Be Here” describes the feelings that people in long-distance relationships know all too well. As a bonus track from the 2012 album Red, this song is far too underrated. 

Best Lyric: “This is falling in love in the cruelest way— This is falling for you and you are worlds away”

4. You Are In Love

With its direct title, I had to include “You Are In Love” on this list. This song, a bonus track off the 1989 album, details the emotion of knowing you have fallen in love. Instead of Swift telling her own story, she is looking at a couple’s relationship from an outside perspective in this song. 

Best Lyric: “One night he wakes, strange look on his face. Pauses, then says: “You’re my best friend.” And you knew what it was— he is in love.”

Music Video GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

5. Call It What You Want

In “Call It What You Want,” Swift recalls the media scrutiny she has faced in the past. Through it all, her boyfriend, Joe Alwyn, has supported her and seen her for who she truly is. On this Reputation track, Swift does a great job taking a personal and specific situation and making it feel relatable and heartfelt. 

Best Lyric: “I want to wear his initial on a chain round my neck, chain round my neck, not because he owns me, but ’cause he really knows me”

6. Lover

Lover’s title track is the epitome of a love song. The song has a heavy (but great) use of rhetorical questions and a bridge inspired by wedding vows (be sure to check out the first dance remix version, too).

Best Lyric: “My heart’s been borrowed and yours has been blue, all’s well that ends well to end up with you”

7. Daylight

As Lover’s closing track, “Daylight” feels like the sunrise after a dark night, like love after a series of heartbreaks. The lyrics are clever, hopeful, and sweet. In the bridge, Taylor calls back to her song “Red” and reveals that her view on love has changed: it’s not red at all, it’s golden— like daylight. 

Best Lyric: “I don’t wanna look at anything else now that I saw you, I don’t wanna think of anything else now that I thought of you”

Couple Lights GIF by Taylor Swift - Find & Share on GIPHY

8. Peace

“Peace” addresses the anxiety that Swift has about being in both a relationship and the spotlight. She sings about being able to dedicate her entire self to her partner but being aware that bad moments are simply inevitable. With its ups and downs, the song portrays a relationship that is real but still hopeful and loving. 

Best Lyric: “I’m a fire, and I’ll keep your brittle heart warm, if your cascade ocean wave blues come. All these people think love’s for show, but I would die for you in secret”

9. Invisible String

In this song, Swift tells listeners how her chance meeting with her boyfriend felt like fate. With great storytelling and the use of diction, “Invisible String” is light-hearted and romantic. It’s clever with its references to elements of Swift’s life and career, too. 

Best Lyric: “Were there clues I didn’t see? And isn’t it just so pretty to think, all along there was some invisible string tying you to me?”

Magic Drowning GIF by Taylor Swift - Find & Share on GIPHY

Other recommendations include: “Paper Rings,” “False God,” “Cornelia Street,” “New Year’s Day,” “Message In A Bottle,” “Stay Stay Stay,” “Mine,” and “Our Song.”

Ok fine. Some of those descriptions felt a bit too cheesy, and I wrote them myself. If you hate Valentine’s Day or are just looking for some sadder songs to jam out to, you’re not alone. Thankfully, Taylor Swift’s catalog is vast. Here are some recommendations for the Valentine’s-day-antis.

Songs for the valentine’s-day-antis

1. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor’s Version)

Don’t you dare think about calling your ex. If those inevitable thoughts float into your mind this Valentine’s day, give this song a listen. Even if you don’t have an ex, the catchy melody and conversational tone of “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” are sure to help you release some anger. 

Best Lyric: “So he calls me up and he’s like, “I still love you”— I mean this is exhausting, you know?”

2. All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)

“All Too Well” chronicles one of Swift’s past, toxic relationships. It’s reflective, angry, and some of Swift’s best songwriting to date. If you really want to feel those emotions, do some vocal warm-ups and put on the ten-minute version. 

Best Lyric: “Cause there we are again when I loved you so, back before you lost the one real thing you’ve ever known. It was rare, I was there, I remember it all too well.”

Sadie Sink Dylan Obrien GIF by Taylor Swift - Find & Share on GIPHY

3. New Romantics

If you’ve taken a more carefree approach to relationships, or you’re just in love with pop perfection, this song is a must-listen. 

Best Lyric: “Heartbreak is the national anthem- we sing it proudly. We are too busy dancing to get knocked off our feet. Baby, we’re the new romantics— the best people in life are free.”

There are tons of other songs that could fit into this category. Some of my favorites include: “The Story Of Us,” “Dear John,” “22,” “Clean,” “Death By A Thousand Cuts,” “The 1,” and “Happiness.”

No matter what your Valentine’s Day is going to look like, a good song is a great addition to any day. 

For these songs & more, check out the spotify playlist below:

Happy Valentine’s Day! <3
Emily is an Associate Editor for Her Campus UConn. She is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying journalism and communication. Emily enjoys writing about pop culture, lifestyle, film, and TV. Emily is a Copy Editor for The Daily Campus and the Social Media Chair for UConn Creative Writing Club. She also co-hosts and edits a pop culture podcast called ‘Girl Talk.’ Passionate about all things creative, Emily is often writing poetry, reading a book, or trying to teach herself a new skill. In her spare time, you can find Emily sipping on a coffee, crafting a new Spotify playlist, or obsessing over her dog.