Taylor Swift on Bad Blood – What’s the Story?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

In a shocking admission, Taylor Swift admits that her song “Bad Blood” is not based on her difficult relationship with Katy Perry, but on yet another female pop sensation.

Her girl-on-girl all out war in the music video, shown above, only seemed to compound this explanation and the case was closed. However, Swift recently offered some new details that contradict that theory in her latest interview with GQ. According to Swift, the song is about losing a friend, not an ex, which tends to be her most popular theme. She goes on further to say that the song is not directed at Katy Perry, referred to by Swift as “the easiest mark… who I didn’t want to be labeled with this song.”

TSwift is known to have many friends, any of which could’ve hurt her. Back in 2013, Perry apparently attempted to hire a few of Swift’s backup dancers during Swift’s tour.  Swift went on to then record and release “Bad Blood”, claiming that this song was about another female pop star, with whom she has had quite a tumultuous relationship. 

So who is this song about? The only consensus so far is that we don’t know, but there’s no doubt Taylor will use all this speculation to her advantage.  How else does one get even more press on a song that came out last year than by digging up the dirt associated with it? By not naming names, Swift proves that she is savvy enough to know what her fans want and intends on giving just enough to keep them coming back.

Read the full interviews for both the Rolling Stone and GQ here and let us know who you think her inspiration was!

Update: Selena Gomez was asked this past Sunday on Andy Cohen’s “What What Happens Live” show to comment on who the song is about, but chose to plead the 5th and remain silent. At least T Swift’s squad seems to be behind her and the new explanation. 

Credit to Us Magazine.