This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Summer is the time we need our skin to be looking it’s best.  With sun dresses, bathing suits, tank tops and booty shorts galore, you can’t afford to be looking dull or dry.  Here are our tips to keep your skin fresh and glowing all summer long.  

1.  Have a regular routine

I know this can be difficult in the summer, but it is so, so important. Having a regular skincare routine keeps everything regulated and purified. I tend to have a difficult time keeping up a routine in the summer, but it’s especially important as the weather gets warmer (and we start sweating more). Here are some products I can recommend to start switching your skincare routine from heavier winter products, to lighter, more summery ones.

2.  Cleansers

I really love Purity by Philosophy. It’s gentle, natural and leaves skin feeling clean, but not too dry.

3. Makeup Removers

Having a great makeup remover that works for you is essential to anyone’s skincare routine. I really love Ponds Cold Cream (and apparently, so does Kylie Jenner), Clinique’s Cleansing Balm, and Micellar water (these from Garnier and Simple are the bomb).

4. Moisturizers/ face oils

Moisturizing is essential, even when it’s warmer out. I usually switch to a lighter face cream (like this Olay one or Philosophy’s Renewed Hope In a Jar). I also always use face oils (yes, even in the summer). They leave my skin glowing and hydrated, and actually less oily than a lot of traditional moisturizers I’ve used. I really like this Argan oil or Tarte’s Maracuja Oil.

5. Body Scrubs

I go through body scrubs like water as the weather gets warmer. I love Lush’s Ocean Salt Face & Body Scrub and Soap and Glory’s Flake Away Body Polish. I also really love making my own body scrubs because it’s a lot cheaper, more customizable, and it’s eco-friendly. Here’s the recipe I use for a coconut body conditioner and scrub (you don’t even have to moisturize after using this because of the coconut oil!)

¾ Cup coffee grounds

1 ½ Cup Epsom salt

¾ Cup unrefined coconut oil

1 tsp. Vanilla extract (or essential oil) for fragrance

Mix it all together

Seal in an airtight container

6.  Body Moisturizers

If I’ve used my coconut and coffee scrub, I skip this step but if I haven’t, I love using Coconut oil, shea butter or anything with shea butter in it.

7.  Last but certainly not least: Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen.  

I know everyone has heard this a million times, but sunscreen is so important in your skin care routine. It blocks harmful UVA and UVB rays, which are present all year round, but especially so as we tend to spend more time outside in the warmer months. Sunscreen can help prevent wrinkles and skin cancer, so make sure you’re including it in your skincare routine somewhere along the way. You can make sure to include primers and moisturizers with SPF (which is what I usually do). However, if I know I’m going to be spending the day outside (i.e., going to the beach), I will make sure to put an extra layer of sunscreen on just to be safe.

Cover image source