Subreddits That Are Actually Useful For Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Reddit is a mysterious place, yet the most wonderful place at the same time. For those of you who somehow don’t know what Reddit is, it’s a discussion website made up of what are called subreddits. There is a subreddit for almost any topic that comes to mind, plus more. Some subreddits are hilarious like r/PhotoshopBattles, thought-provoking like r/ShowerThoughts or adorable like r/Aww.

Not all subreddits are here for our entertainment though. Some are actually useful for everyday life. Here is a list of subreddits that can help you improve the quality of your life.  

1. r/AskReddit

AskReddit is one of the most popular subreddits on the website. Not only is it entertaining, but it can be really helpful at times. People go here to ask whatever they want and anyone can answer. Some questions asked are about advice anyone has on a certain topic, free products/services online or even everyday knowledge that people should know. AskReddit is an amazing subreddit that has some hidden gems on how to better your life.

2. r/IWantToLearn

This subreddit is dedicated to people posting about wanting to learn certain skills. Most posts start off with “IWTL” and go on to say anything they want. This could be from life skills such as personal finance or programing to something as simple as whistling or improving their handwriting. Everyone in the comments are there to help and provide resources for you to succeed. If there’s anything you’ve always wanted to know how to do, check out this subreddit.

3. r/LifeProTips

This subreddit is all about giving advice. Everyone goes through different experiences in life and sometimes you learn a little bit along the way. People who post in this subreddit are here to give advice on anything that may make your life easier. Most of the advice here is something to consider living by.

4. r/GetMotivated

Need motivation on something in your life? GetMotivated is the perfect subreddit to get you started. People post inspiring stories or images to help motivate you with whatever you are going through in life. Been trying to lose weight? Want to ace that exam? Going to this subreddit with goals in mind can really help you put those thoughts into action.

5. r/PersonalFinance

For those who are terrified about graduating with debt or are just struggling financially, this subreddit is for you. A lot of people not only go to this subreddit for advice on what to do when they are in a financial bind, but a lot of people share their story as to how they were able to pick themselves back up. Some people share their habits that helped them get out of debt quicker whether it was taking advantage of great deal or cutting off a gym membership and doing home workouts. This subreddit gives a lot of great advice on where to start when life gets tough financially.

6. r/Relationships

Whether you’re single and feeling lonely, fighting with your significant other or trying to make a long-distance relationship work, this subreddit can help you deal with your problem. This is another subreddit dedicated to advice and can help with a relationship problem you may have. Lots of people are willing to help and sometimes it could give you a new perspective on the issue.

7. r/UCONN

Yes, UConn has its own subreddit. I check it about once a week to see if anything new around campus has happened that I missed out on. A lot of students go here for general questions or advice on certain classes. If you have a question about something on campus, don’t be afraid to ask the question here, it’s a great way to stay connected with what is happening on campus.

Cover image source