Studying Abroad in Italy!
Studying Abroad in Italy!
Original photos by Clara Gomes-Ferres

Studying Abroad: One of the Best Decisions I’ve Ever Made

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Since I was young I knew I wanted to travel the world. I didn’t know when, I didn’t know with who, but I knew it was just something that I was going to do. I couldn’t complain when I decided to do this either. I was working, spending time with friends, loving my hobbies…but I knew deep down I was in need of something new. This semester, I finally had the opportunity to study abroad! The change of scenery here in Italy, and in other European countries, has me feeling inspired and excited about life again. During the pandemic it was difficult for me to envision feeling this way again like so many others. This is your sign to DO IT TOO. 

They don’t lie when they say studying abroad is life-changing. Yes…I’m aware that I sound like someone that would say “my life is a movie,” but that’s just because it truly feels like that right now. In just over a month I’ve already spent a weekend in Rome (where someone took me on a vespa ride to the colosseum at night!), stood at the top of the leaning tower in Pisa, experienced the beauty of Cinque Terre, went shopping in Milan with amazing friends I just made, looked up at Juliet’s balcony in Verona, had amazing tortellini in Bologna, took an Italian cooking class, visited the Netherlands where I had scrumptious stroopwafels, and booked my next few trips to Paris, Barcelona, and Switzerland! 

Not only are my trips during the weekends here in Italy incredible, but there is also so much to appreciate about my life in Florence both in and out of class. In this city I love to relax and read in La Cite, a coffee shop on the other side of the arno, walk around with gelato in my hands around the Duomo, and float through the Uffizi Gallery (only €2 for students). On a weekday you’ll often find me grabbing a lavender latte from a cute little coffee shop in front of the Ponte Vecchio as I make my way over to my Italian, History of Fashion, Social Media, Social Food, Fashion Media, and History of Florence classes. Once school is over for the day, I love to hike up to Palazzo Michelangelo where I can get an amazing view of the city and have the smell of pasta and vine lingering in my nose. Once the sun sets, you can find me out eating at cozy restaurants with my squad before we hit up the bar and have lots of laughs for the night. Don’t worry, I’m doing my homework too. 

It’s truly incredible how much this one month has changed the way I view the world and what lies ahead. I’ve already met so many incredible people, have fallen in love with the language and the food, and have pushed myself out of my comfort zone like never before. It’s already been a huge year for growth and understanding that my life doesn’t have to be what I always thought it would be bottled up back home in Connecticut. I feel excited to travel more now, and explore different places to settle when I’m older. At the moment I am very tempted to pack up all my belongings from back home and move out here. Pronto. 

I am incredibly grateful for the opportunity I’ve had to come here. All of those school and summer afternoons working back at home really paid off. I love looking through my camera roll lately, as it feels like a dream. I highly recommend that, even if it’s not for studying, that you travel and see the beauty that lies elsewhere. Thank you for reading.

Clara is an undergraduate student at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, who is actively pursuing a degree in Communications. Clara has also worked as a designer for her school newspaper "The Daily Campus" and runs a fashion and lifestyle blog called "Why Not?". In her free time, Clara enjoys meditation, music, podcasts, sushi, and trying new things. Her dream is to work for a brand she is truly passionate about.