Students Braved a Blizzard for Delicious Buckets of Ice Cream

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

On the morning of February 5th, 2016, hundreds of UConn students trekked through campus in a snow storm.  Their mission? To fill a big blue bucket with Dairy Bar Ice Cream and toppings at the yearly One Ton Sundae event, hosted by UConn’s SUBOG.

A bucket of ice cream was $1 for all UConn students, $2 for non-students, and free for UConn seniors, served from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.

This is what campus looked like:

The SUBOG team put together the outdoor ice cream fantasy with snow swirling into their faces, while eager students started lining up in the cold.  The first 200 students even got free scarves sporting UConn’s colors.

As the time to start serving approached, the line of ice cream lovers got longer and longer…

Cold hands scooped ice cream flavors in their buckets: mint chocolate chip, coconut, coffee fudge toffee, and cookies & cream, to name a few.

People were pretty happy to get out of the cold after loading up their ice cream with toppings. But was standing in a windy tundra worth it?

Absolutely! Just ask this happy student, Brianna Virgulto. 

*All images credit of Katherine Eastman.

Katherine Eastman, UConn class of 2017 -studying journalism and WGSS