The Struggles of Living in Towers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

As a freshman, I was put into the residence halls that most UConn students scoff at and shed pity on, Towers. Prior to move in day, I researched where I was living thoroughly on credited sources like Reddit and Tumblr and tried to brace myself as best as I could. Although Towers is anticipated to be a freshman-only living accommodation next year, if you’ve ever been to, lived at, or are currently residing in Towers, you feel the struggle.

It is basically off-campus housing

When you tell people you live in Towers their first reaction is usually a sigh of pity because it is just so darn far from the center of campus. Your morning routine starts notably earlier than everyone else’s to ensure that you get to class on time. You know the Red and Blue line like the back of your hand, and if you miss the bus there is a solid chance that lecture may not be a priority that day.

Rocky Stairs

Let’s say you decide to be a Sporty Spice and walk to and from class. This healthy lifestyle choice may make you feel active going to class, but coming back you better do some intensive stretching and expect some sweat. Busby Hill may be the pinnacle of athleticism, but do not underestimate the power of the Towers stairs. If you want to train like Rocky, this is how to do it.

The Dining Hall

Have you ever craved some late night snacks? Well don’t go to Gelfenbien Commons. Not only is this one of the only dining halls to not serve late night, but Towers is also far away from the dining halls that do. Not to mention it’s not just Towers residents that eat at the dining hall, it is also shared with Husky Village. Dinner time at Towers is basically the Hunger Games, except with hangry college students fighting for tables.

Sirens

Emergency vehicles can essentially be heard anywhere on campus, but at Towers there’s a very good chance that you will hear at least one, if not more, emergency vehicle sirens drive past your window every night. With the buildings being right on Storrs Rd., it is inevitable that you will be trying to sleep one night and at some obscene hour you will be awakened by the piercing sound of sirens.

Marching Band Rehearsals

Being in such close proximity to W lot means that you will hear the marching band rehearsing throughout the fall semester. There’s nothing quite like the sound of the band playing while trying to study.  

All jokes aside, don’t underestimate Towers Residence Halls. Living in Towers gives the residence a very strong sense of community. If you ever need a reminder of how great Towers can actually be, look across the road to Horsebarn Hill at sunset.