The Struggles of Going to School in the Middle of Nowhere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Growing up in New York City, coming to UConn was a pretty big change for me. I was not used to all the trees, open space, and the idea of being on a campus in the middle of nowhere. Don’t get me wrong – I love UConn and everything it has to offer, but location wise…not so much. Not entirely sure what I mean? Well here are just a few of the struggles I, and many others, have faced here in cow town…

1. People thinking that you’re trying to be funny when you tell them that you go to school in cow town, but you’re actually telling the truth.

2. There are limited food and restaurant choices.

Dog Lane? Mooyah? Moe’s? Blaze? Selection is limited and can get a little redundant here — especially when you’re missing your Chipotle fix.

3. Losing cell signal or internet service on your phone when you’re too far off campus.

4. Being stuck on campus if you don’t own a car.

5. Having to drive over 30-45 minutes to go shopping or go anywhere.

That drive to Buckland Hills, Manchester, XL Center, etc.

6. Not having anything to do – besides activities on campus.

How many times can you go to Late Night, the movies, and a frat party without getting bored of it?

7. Having to walk over a mile to get from one side of campus to the other.

That walk from North to South Campus or the Oaks to Hilltop Apartments though…

8. All the hills you have to trek to get to class.

Think it’s bad now? Wait for winter…

9. Deciding to go on a scenic hike/run, but ending up getting lost in the woods.

Seems like a good idea until you have no idea where you are.

10. Having to fear clowns popping out from the woods. 

Okay, as much as I (and others) laugh about UConn being a cow town, I must admit that this is a very pretty cow town and I would not have had the same college experience as I did if it weren’t for UConn and its setting. You know what they say….

Students Today, Huskies Forever. (Well…some of us will remember UConn a little more like this – shoutout to my fellow seniors.)

Cover Image courtesy of UConn Animal Sciences Department

Gloria is the Marketing Co-Director for Her Campus UConn. She is majoring in Marketing and minoring in Communications. She is a sucker for corny jokes, probably knows a little too much about celebrities, and is a big foodie.