Style > Beauty

Start Your New Year Right With These Beauty Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Swimming through the sea of Sephora aisles can get a little overwhelming. If you haven’t checked them out already, these makeup and skincare products are much needed additions to your collection for 2017.

Urban Decay Naked Palettes

Ah, the all-time classic. Urban Decay has come out with numerous palettes ranging from stunning bronze and champagne shades to an all matte basics collection. For the true makeup lovers, try getting your hands on the Naked Vault, a collection of three Naked Palettes, 3 double-ended liners, 3 bronzer-blush highlighters, and 3 lip glosses…drools.

Kylie Cosmetics Anything

The youngest member of the Kardashian/Jenner clan has created a makeup empire, notably through her signature Lip Kits (which have earned Kylizzle over $8 million by the way). Her products, sold only on kyliecosmetics.com, sell out almost immediately once launched. She releases new products every couple of weeks, the Holiday Collection being her most recent. 

Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance Palette

This limited edition eyeshadow palette has 14 beautiful warm shades like bronze and berry. This palette is vibrant and pigmented, and perfect for cozy looks.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Contour Kit

2016 was the year of the contour (and hopefully that won’t change in 2017). Chisel and define your facial features with this award-winning contour and highlight kit. These sets have a matte finish with 3 skin-tone options to choose from including light to medium, medium to tan, and deep. 

Anastasia Beverly Glow Kits

Clearly, ABH took 2016 by storm. Complete your contoured face with the perfect highlight. There are plenty of sets out there, but you can’t beat the Anastasia Beverly Hills Glow Kits. They currently have 5 kits to choose from that are all full of pigmented shimmer. Your selfies will be Insta-worthy in no time because it’s all about #thatglow.

Keep in mind that makeup needs healthy skin as a base to ensure flawless application. Here are a few of my personal favorite skincare products:

Fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask

Fresh is a brand known for high quality products that are natural and gentle on skin. This charcoal-toned mask contains clay to clarify, sandalwood to calm, and chamomile and lavender to soothe the skin. This product can be used as a mask or a deep cleanser, and is suitable for all skin types to create a more balanced, healthy complexion. After just a few uses, I noticed my skin was softer and I was breaking out less frequently because this product controlled oil. 

Peter Thomas Roth FIRMx Peeling Gel

Let me just say this is probably one of my all-time favorite skincare products. This peeling gel is gentle enough to use up to three times a week, yet powerful enough to visibly roll away dead skin cells after massaged onto the skin. Pineapple and pomegranate enzymes plus cellulose unveil radiant skin without causing irritation.

Farsali Rose Gold Elixir

This product is a miracle. Created by the Instagram-famous beauty guru Farah Dukhai, her daily beauty oil is perfect for all skin types. It contains vitamins A and C, rosehip seed oil, and 24K gold flakes that absorb right into your skin, leaving it radiant and glowing. I personally use this on a clean face, right before applying my foundation to create a smooth and hydrated surface for makeup to effortlessly glide on top of. I’ve also added a few drops on a makeup sponge before blending my foundation. It’s also perfect for hydrating your lips before applying matte lipstick to prevent flaking and dryness. Keep an eye on this product as it sells out quickly, but they restock often! 

Cover Image Source