This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you are unfamiliar with this popular app, all you need to know is that “Duolingo” is a language-learning experience that allows users to practice writing a second language with the assistance of daily challenges and levels to pace learners. Sounds fun, right?

After all, it’s free, and it has a wide variety of languages to learn from! Plus, the green bird that acts as the application’s mascot is just adorable. Right?

So you download the app, and you instantly become hooked. You want to learn as much as you can, so you move through a few of the lessons. This is fun!

But then a few days pass, and your interest starts to wane. Things get in the way. Life gets in the way. And while the notifications you added to ensure you maintain a daily streak are helpful, they’re starting to get annoying.

Then it happens… you miss a day.

The bird is not pleased. Suddenly, the cute bird looks far more threatening.

You want to stick with the app. You want to perfect a second language. But you’re not sure you can live up to this bird’s expectations.

Yet, somehow, the app is still on your phone. At least, mine certainly is.