Style

Spring/Summer 2022 Lookbook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

With a “new normal” approaching from what feels like a lifetime of pandemic living, beauty and fashion are bound to increasingly act as expressive art forms. And, as the warmer spring weather seeps in, we can finally experiment with new styles instead of worrying about staying warm. Thus, the combination of wanting to put on makeup because we’re seeing one another’s faces and wearing cute clothes because it’s nice out anticipates this season to be one of the best yet for looks. Having nearly exclusively worn sweats myself for a long time, I’m so excited for the fun spring colors to meet skirts and eyeliner in these next few weeks.

Though it doesn’t really feel like spring exists in New England sometimes, a prominent feature of every spring is the color scheme. We see repetitions of “it-colors” every season, this one more than ever. The it-colors this spring are grass green, violet, copper, mint (a staple), and overall muted pastels, and they’re each highlighted in different areas of style.

Fashion

Grass green is the biggest color for clothes this spring, with stores like H&M and F21 having noticeable splatters of it around their stores.

As for specific articles, my eye was most quickly caught by all of the creative new cutouts and shapes of tops. From entire clouds to hearts or flowers, the new focus on the shape itself of the material is inspired. Though this may be scary for some, I think the reformation of clothing is also well reflected in simpler pieces with structured sweetheart necklines, unusual cutouts, and statement sleeves. For texture, the new use of fur and feathers as playful trims or even entire tops and skirts helps bring new textures and ideas into clothing, just like art. Even with simpler textures, woven tops, and all woven clothing and accessories, have been amplified with new patterns and styles emerging at every corner. I don’t usually feel like I’m presented unique styles at every store in a mall, but the ability to embellish with unique colors and crocheted patterns has elevated woven clothing this season.

Similar in versatility, cardigans remain a staple; both tight button-up cardigans as tops and chunky cardigans as accessories to slip dresses, wrap dresses, midi dresses, and skirts. However, the latter may be partially due to the versatility midi dresses and skirts hold as well. Though they can be easily styled with heels or sneakers, I’ve seen more midi dresses in the limelight lately simply styled with boots.

Makeup

Purple is the biggest color for makeup this spring, with the emergence of both blush and eye makeup. While unexpected to see a new color of blush, elevated eye looks were more expectable due to Euphoria’s cultural influence, with inner corner pops and gems being new ways to spice up makeup looks this spring.

Aside from the lovely pops of purple, I predict soft glam to hold it’s prominence, with airbrushed skin and heavy, dewy, blush, used either as blush or contour. Matching the dewy look, very glossy lip gloss and lip oils are waiting to shine in the sun, possibly over some of the new lip stains.

Finally, the TikTok filter explaining the “perfect dimensions” of eyebrows showed scientific truth, but the others like “thin” or “feathery” eyebrows that looked good spoke truth too. Eyebrow trends come around because they fit certain people, and it’s now time to take advantage of filters and makeup to see what looks good on us – and never feel like it’s “not on-trend.”

Hair

Copper has dominated the hair color trends this spring like no other, from the light shades of strawberry blonde to darker burnt orange shades. From Doja Cat to Kendall Jenner to half of the ‘Euphoria’ girls, a copper hair moment never fails.

A lot of short styles like bobs and bob-pixies (bixies) are trending in preparation for the warmer weather. Correspondingly, ponytail trends for those with longer hair like the slicked side part pony (maybe even with curled ends) and tightly pulled back braid aim to maintain style through humidity and activity.

However, while the humidity stays low, homemade “flippy” blowouts made by straightening each small section of hair flipping the bottom few inches towards your face can make any day luxurious. Not only do you not need wet hair or a dryer, this look is exciting and perfect for complimenting any spring dress or skirt.

Neha Jammula is a senior at UConn pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in sociology and statistics. Applying her educational interests, she enjoys writing articles that utilize research to detail and provide explanations for different social events. Writing for a college women's magazine allows her to explore popular culture trends and ongoing conversations among college women. Aside from Her Campus, Neha is also helping write research reports for UConn's Student Life and Enrollment office as an undergraduate student researcher. Some of Neha's other interests that can be found in her archive below are art, poetry, beauty, and lifestyle.