Maria Scheller-Girl Horse Riding Hiking Bryce National Park Utah Adventure Camping Active
Maria Scheller / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

So You Want To Be A College Equestrian?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Whether it is your first year or your last year in college, joining a new club or sport can be nerve-racking. As an equestrian for practically my entire life, it took me three years to reach out to my college’s equestrian team. Trust me, it is way easier than you think. Read this short guide for tips on becoming your college’s horse girl.

1) You don’t need to have experience

If you are a horse-lover, avid equestrian, or simply want to try something new, you’re in luck! Most colleges have equestrian team tryouts where you are placed based on your riding ability. If you have no experience, great! You can become a part of the team’s beginner team and learn everything you need to know about being an equestrian.

2) Don’t be afraid to speak up

As an equestrian, it is really important to speak up about the things you are uncomfortable doing. Not comfortable riding a huge horse or cantering after a few rides? Not a problem, you can take it as slow as you want. One thing I love about college equestrian teams is everyone is supportive of everyone. Whether you are a beginner or an advanced rider, everyone has your back!

3) Visit your campus’ horse barn

Before committing to the team, tour your college’s horse barn to see if you like the environment and the horses! I like to get familiar with the horses, the atmosphere, and the people so I know what I’m getting into!

4) Buy comfy riding clothes

Last but not least: buy comfy clothes. Trust me, it makes a difference. My biggest suggestion is to try on riding outfits to make sure they are a good fit for you. Not sure where to start? Visit your local tack store or chat with some equestrian team teammates.

After reading this short guide, I hope you consider joining your college’s team! Have fun and ride safe. :)

Tia Burton

U Conn '24

Tia is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying animal science and pre-veterinary studies. Outside of writing, Tia enjoys riding horses, reading, or binging Netflix.