This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Autumn is finally upon us, which means cold weather, apple picking, corn mazes, pumpkin flavored everything and, best of all, Halloween. In preparation for the the holiday with the best films, I’ve compiled a list of six of the scariest movies you should watch (and where to watch them). So grab your friends and get ready for one of the spookiest movie nights ever.

1. The Shining

In this Stephen King classic, Jack Torrance moves to the historic Overlook Hotel with his wife and son after taking a position as the off-season caretaker. Thanks to some messed up stuff that happened in the hotel in the past, weird stuff starts happening in the present. 10/10, very spooky. Available to stream on Netflix.

2. The Babadook 

The movie follows a single mother as she tries to manage her grief from losing her husband, her busy schedule, and her suddenly insomniac son who’s obsessed with an imaginary monster that haunts everyone who knows about it, the Babadook. The best part about watching this movie, is that it’s available for streaming on Netflix.

3. The Boy 

If you love suspense, confusion, and a general mood of “What the F*ck” at the end of a movie, this one is absolutely for you. The Boy follows Greta, an American girl who takes a job as a nanny for an 8 year old boy. Turns out, however, that the boy is actually a doll that the family treats as a human being. Filled with twists and turns around every corner, this film will keep you on your toes. Available on Netflix.

4. The Blair Witch Project 

​This found footage film follows three film students as they try to uncover the story behind a small town’s legendary murder. As they spend more time following the story, weird stuff starts happening. Available to stream on Hulu

5. Carrie

​This Stephen King adaptation follows young teen Carrie White, who’s bullied constantly by her peers. This classic scary movie needs to be on your list of movies to watch this Halloween. Available to stream on Amazon’s Prime Video.

6. The Conjuring

​The fact that this is based on real life events makes it all the more scary. This follows Ed and Lorraine Warren as they try to help the Perron family, who are being tormented by a malevolent supernatural presence after they move into a new home. This is probably the best (and scariest) “Conjuring” film, in my opinion. Available to stream on Netflix.

Happy viewing, collegiettes! 

Kathryn is a junior undergraduate at the University of Connecticut, studying Communication with a minor in Marketing. She holds the position of Twitter chair for her chapter's Twitter account.