Six Best Horror Stories for Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

‘Salem’s Lot by Stephen King

Stephen King is one of the most well-known horror authors of our time, and ‘Salem’s Lot is perfect for Halloween. The drama of a small, seemingly quiet town, a priest facing an impossible decision, and a vampire epidemic. What’s not to love?

Short stories of Edgar Allan Poe

Most of Edgar Allan Poe’s stories are chilling in their own way, but The Black Cat, The Murders in the Rue Morgue, and The Tell-Tale Heart are the most appropriate for the season.

Dracula by Bram Stoker

Of course the classic vampire story- Dracula. Everyone knows who Dracula is, but have you read the book? It’s a horror classic, and it’s sure to give you chills this Halloween.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Originally published in 1818, Frankenstein is one of the first horror novels ever. It’s one of those stories that we’re all familiar with, even if we haven’t read it. It’s the foundation for not only the horror genre, but all of science fiction.

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

You may have already seen the movie, but the novel is even scarier! Try reading the original story and get the full experience this Halloween.

Don’t Look Now by Daphne du Maurier

Du Maurier may not be a well-known horror writer, but she’s certainly influenced the genre. Her collection of short stories Don’t Look Now is her most famous work, but several of her other stories were adapted into films.