Sh*t You Hear on the Street Side of North

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you’re a freshman or sophomore at UConn, it’s pretty likely that you’re living in North. While there are definitely plenty of upsides to living in North, like it’s distance to the center of campus, sundae bar on Fridays, and the ease of meeting other freshman and sophomores, there are also some definite downsides. Such as the one drain showers, leaving the building to do laundry, and if you’re lucky enough to live on the street side, the endless ruckus that goes on outside your window on the daily. Fellow street-side students, you have my condolences.

1.  The Great (Drunk) Migration

The fact that some people in North have the super-power to go out more than 3 days a week is an accomplishment in itself. There’s nothing like lying in my bed on a Tuesday night, trying to keep up with my very happening social life Netflix queue, and hearing people traipse home from Huskies or Ted’s. The clacking of heels and the classic “Wait for me!” sings me to sleep on most weeknights. #blessed

2. BANGBANGBANG

Shortly followed by this slue of bar-goers would be the time-honored and repetitive smacking of the New London door. I can always count on the constant banging of a) someone who doesn’t have their ID, b) someone who clearly has a life-or-death need to come enjoy the exhilarating halls of New London, c) someone who absolutely hates me and anyone else trying to have a peaceful night of enjoying Adele’s carpool karaoke for the 15th time. 

3. “LET ME IN!!!”

Though this is very closely related to the previous point, this one includes but is not limited to only post-bar hours. If I had a nickel for every time someone called out to anyone who lived on the first floor, specifically someone named Glynn, it’s possible I could take all of you out to a nice dinner at Geno’s. Morning, afternoon, night, you name it. The demand to be let into New London is higher than ever – as long as Glynn’s the one opening the door.

4. Rising and Shining: the Janitor Edition

Have an 8 a.m. that morning? Waking up to study for your 11 a.m. exam? Want to get to the dining hall before omelet bar closes? Don’t even bother setting an alarm! Lucky for you, the janitors will stand directly under your window at 7 a.m. sharp every morning. And even more lucky for you, they’ll be talking at a volume loud enough to wake you from even your deepest sleep! You’ll get to catch up on building gossip, find out what days they want to take off, and their latest family drama – it’s all very exciting, especially at seven in the morning!

5.  Food deliveries

I guess you never really notice how much business the restaurants around your school get until you dorm in the hub for all of their deliveries. Sgt. Pep’s, Domino’s, Insomnia, DP Dough, Wings – the list is endless! Though in this case, we really are #blessed for all of these great establishments.

6.  “It’s not you, it’s me.”

Break-ups. You’d be surprised how many people think the street side of North is the optimal spot to have “the talk,” but that’s none of my business! Or maybe it is since it happens right under my window….you shouldn’t have cheated on her, Brandon! 

7. Snow Plows

This is more of a seasonal condition for the street side rooms, but lately it’s been more than relevant. We’re always the first ones to know the snowplows are doing their job, bright and early – which I guess I can’t really complain, it’s definitely a better alternative than finding myself belly-up in the middle of the unplowed street.

Though I may make it hard to believe, I really do enjoy living at North – it’s home away from home. And to all my fellow street-siders, I hope this made you feel less alone. Have a great week, collegiettes!