Disney World
Disney World
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I don’t know about you, but Disney was my entire childhood. From the movies to the shows, I could not get enough. It was exciting waiting for the new episode of Hannah Montana or Wizards of Waverly Place. My weekends consisted of me staying up to watch the new Disney Channel original movies like Lemonade Mouth or Starstruck. And of course, most of what I saw in theaters was created by Disney. (I kid you not, this was genuinely my entire childhood.)

When I heard that Disney was going to be creating a streaming service, I just about fainted from excitement. Who wouldn’t want access to every movie, show, or documentary that has ever been created under Disney? As you can imagine, I subscribed to Disney+ THE DAY it came out. No hesitation. No questioning whether it was worth it or not. Just immediate subscription and absolutely no shame. So, this article will be a full review of my experience.

As a Disney fanatic, I was ecstatic at the variety and quantity of the content that was set to be available upon release of the service. One thing I was very excited about was the shows and movies that were/are being created specifically for the streaming service. Things like The Mandalorian, which is a spinoff show from the Star Wars universe, and promises of many Marvel shows such as WandaVision and Loki, and even a live-action remake of Lady and the Tramp are just a few of the incredible new additions available to subscribers. And even if you’re not interested in the originals, Disney+ gives you access to all of the classic movies, as well as works from Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and even National Geographic. They even threw in all of the iconic Disney shorts that play before the Pixar movies, such as Bao and Piper. The content doesn’t stop where it is. The current list of content is growing every single day as Disney adds more of its work to the menu. As you can probably guess, any person who grew up with Disney in their life can get a very healthy dose of nostalgia through Disney+. Countless Disney Channel and Disney XD shows have also been included, as well as Disney Channel Original Movies. Trust me, for the $6.99 a month that it costs for the subscription, you are getting an extremely large amount of content with more coming as we speak. In my opinion, if you love Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, or National Geographic, then it is definitely worth getting.

With any new streaming service, there are bound to be some glitches, especially within the first few weeks. While using Disney+ for the first week or so, I had a lot of critiques. There was no continue watching section, it never saved my spot, your progress on a show was not saved, and a lot of the content would skip or cut out completely while I was trying to watch. However, Disney has done a remarkable job of fixing all of these issues. Since the release, they have added a Continue Watching section, began saving progress for shows and movies that you watch, and even fixed a majority of the glitches within specific shows. Not only that, but they have improved the organization of the content on the homepage to make it easier to find what you want to watch. In just a few weeks after the release of Disney+, most of its major issues have already seen major improvements. Disney really puts in the effort to improve the user experience.

One thing I feel is worth mentioning is the fact that Disney+ is COMPLETELY addicting. To prove my point, I am watching Wizards of Waverly Place as I write this article. I have gone through three full shows and a few movies in just a couple of weeks. I have procrastinated, canceled plans, and stayed up too late because I am hooked on this Disney wave. If you do choose to subscribe, you most likely won’t get anything done ever for the rest of your life. Honestly, it’s still worth it. 

In conclusion, I would 10/10 recommend Disney+ to everyone whose childhood was affected by Disney. 

Kallan Doyon

U Conn '23

Kallan is a senior at the University of Connecticut studying Psychology, with minors in Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies and Sociology. She plans to pursue her Masters in Social Work after this year. She loves writing! Like, genuinely love it, and rediscovered her love of writing just recently!