Sex Q & A: The Answers to All Your Sex Questions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Got sex questions? We’ve got answers!

Q: I’m pretty embarrassed about the number of men I’ve slept with. How many is too many?

A: When a guy is asked how many girls he’s slept with, he doubles the actual number. When a girl is asked, she cuts it in half. Why does there have to be a double standard? Typically guys like girls who have low numbers, because this means she’s not a slore. Honestly, it’s just a number. You should be able to feel comfortable with yourself–don’t let a silly number define you.

Q: How do I ask my partner to get checked without it being awkward?

A: On average, 20-25% of college students have a sexually transmitted disease. It may seem like a small percentage, but that’s one in four people. With so many diseases being spread, it’s crucial to ask your partner if he/she is clean, no matter how awkward it may be. A great way to go about this is by making it a shared experience. You can say something like, “I really want to get checked. Can you come to the clinic and get tested with me?” If they get defensive, respond understandingly and say you want them to be 100% positive you’re clean. In the end, it should be your body, your rules. Don’t be that one in four people!

Q: I tend to get dry really quickly whenever I have sex for too long. What are some lubes I can use?

A: Lube can be a girl’s best friend when the drought hits. But with so many choices, how can you choose? First off, there’s water-based lube. These are used for sex toys and condoms. I would recommend K-Y Warming Gel, which creates a warming sensation and enhances your sexual experience. There’s also silicone-based, which remains wetter longer; however, it cannot be used on silicone sex toys due to the reaction of silicone-on-silicone contact. Warning: These are harder to wash off sheets and clothing. Wet Flavored silicone-based lube is the best choice because it’s both high in quality and a tasty treat. ;)Finally, there’s oil-based. You want to stay AWAY from these because they’re harmful for women’s vaginal health and are extremely messy. They also break down the latex in condoms…we all know why this is a bad idea. These include anything like Vaseline, vegetable oil, etc. (Kidding about the vegetable oil). All in all, I would stick to good old-fashioned water-based lube to keep the juices flowin’.

Caitlin is a Communication major with minors in Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Connecticut. She has always loved to write, but she caught the advertising bug at UConn and now dreams of creating ads that people will always remember. When she's not studying mass media or reading advertising blogs, Caitlin loves making collages, riding horses, and surprising people!