7 Self-Improvement Reads That Will Change Your Life This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

When I first entered college, I was very overwhelmed. Everyone faces challenges that cause anxiety, steal energy, and negatively impact who we really are. As I focused my habits and mindset towards bettering myself, my surroundings, and my future, I noticed improvement in all realms of my lifestyle and health. Through this process, I wanted to immerse myself in new or lost habits and hobbies that help me relax, become closer to myself, or add a new lens on loving life.

My younger self was madly in love with reading as it helped me dream of fantasy worlds, so I decided to look into the vast genre of books known as “self-help,” or “self-improvement.” While far from fairytales, I’ve reconnected with my childhood love for reading and better understand tips and tricks on how to “help” myself become the best me. Now that summer has begun, it’s the perfect time to get started on a new book if you enjoy reading, want to learn something new, or pick up a new pastime!

I have hand-picked these books for one of two reasons: 1) I have read it and learned enough to suggest it to my closest family and friends, or 2) I have been referred to this book by peers, or read amazing reviews/watched videos online about it. Happy reading!

1) HOW TO BE HAPPY, DAMNIT BY KAREN SALMANSOHN

This book is for readers who are looking to start their self-help journey (or maybe don’t enjoy this genre at all and want to give it another try!), or people who are looking to start reading altogether. Karen Salmansohn combines psychology and biology along with both Western and Eastern philosophies to create this conversational yet informational book that can help anyone away from negative thinking and bad patterns!

Salmansohn goes into detail on the 44 life lessons she believes will help readers find their way to love the life they live. She includes humor, modern-day techniques and tricks, and illustrations to make this book an enjoyable read. Many of my friends have read this book and can easily say that this is one of the most improving, and comfortable, reads within the realm of self-growth.

The author has created her own website about How To Be Happy, Damnit if you are more interested, including many quotes, a glimpse into the reading, reviews, and more books she has written!

2) You are awesome: How to navigate change, wrestle with failure, and live an intentional life by Neil Pasricha

Need a self-esteem booster that can change your perspective on failure and success for the better? Neil Pasricha invests four main lessons to take away from this award-winning read: change-resistant to change-ready, failure-prone to failure-proof, thin-skinned to thick-skinned, and anxious to AWESOME! In You Are Awesome, the author conversely teaches his audience how to train our brains regarding adaption, worry, and failure, as well as tactics and lessons to bring into your daily life that will bring you success and happiness.

This book is one of my favorite self-help readings of all time as it helped me learn to build more resilience and confidence in our ever-changing world. Pasricha also discusses the harsh effect of cell phones and our society, and how to combat negative self-image and insecurities. As a 20-year-old college student, navigating through these topics can be difficult and quite stressful, but this book has helped me a ton and I am sure it will help others struggling with the same difficulties! Check out Neil Pasricha’s website for more information.

3) why has nobody told me this before? By Dr. Julie Smith

Also known as a therapist’s self-help toolkit, Why Has Nobody Told Me This Before? is packed full of mental health and coping techniques, motivation and confidence builders, and lessons on how to forgive yourself and others around you. Dr. Julie Smith combines these tools with the perfect tone and sequence to create an empathetic masterpiece. There is easily edible information and guidance found throughout the entire read.

Spoken as if she were right in front of you, Dr. Smith provides readers with the printed words and solutions you are looking for, especially if you enjoy taking the time to digest your book. This is an original read that can help you identify emotions and use these feelings to expand and better your life. Each section contains different content, so if you are looking for a particular tool, this book is very easy to navigate through.

The author can be found on social media (through TikTok as @drjuliesmith and Instagram as @drjulie) as well as on national television and broadcasts. She uses her platforms to provide practical strategies and personal development skills to all ages.

4) Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness By Vex King

I really enjoyed this creative and mindful book about finding your true self-intention and joy in life. It can be how you wake up or go to sleep, the mindset you enter when faced with certain obstacles or challenges, or just putting on a happy face to brighten up the room you are in! Vex King does an outstanding job of explaining and narrating self-love and showing that love both internally and externally, can lead to successhappiness, and greatness in your daily life. Some of the intentions and goals he covers in this read include:

• practice self-care, overcome toxic energy, and prioritize your wellbeing 
  • cultivate positive lifestyle habits, including mindfulness and meditation 
  • change your beliefs to invite great opportunities into your life
  • manifest your goals using tried-and-tested techniques
  • overcome fear and flow with the Universe
  • find your higher purpose and become a shining light for others

This book was definitely one of the most successful, and resulted in the most positive outcome for me, out of all the self-growth and improvement books I have read. I highly recommend this to young women and adults struggling with finding who YOU are, and discovering your true greatness!

“A beautifully designed book full of inspiring quotes and tried-and-tested wisdom on using positivity to create a life you love… With this book, Vex will show you that when you change the way you think, feel, speak and act, you begin to change the world.”

—Goodreads

5) THINKING, FAST AND SLOW BY DANIEL KAHNEMAN

Voted as one of the New York Times Book Review’s ten best books of the year, Thinking, Fast and Slow explores how our mind works and explains that it runs on two different systems; System One being faster and more intuitive, System Two being slower and more logical. Daniel Kahneman reveals how to control and pinpoint these different systems and implement them into our daily lives—all in order to better ourselves.

Kahneman offers many different ways to approach these two systems in this well-written book that is efficient enough to understand everything he is trying to say. The struggle between our business and personal lives, protecting our minds against obstacles and mental blocks, and tapping into human rationality are some of the biggest takeaways from this read.

Plus, check out the New York Timesarticle on this amazing read.

6) You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life By Jen Sincero

You have probably seen this book cover in many places and across social media platforms. Known for its bright yellow background (or its sister book You Are a Badass at Making Money, known for its bright green), Jen Sincero is an expert at both marketing and writing. My best friend recommended this read to me because it inspired her to think more positively about daily tasks or struggles and shift her energy to what she cares about and desires.

Sincero uses modern-day language, humor, and even occasional curses to enlighten and inspire her audience to go outside of their comfort zone and become the best version of themselves, even if it’s scary or uncomfortable at first. You Are a Badass trains its readers for the real world, while also using ideologies such as manifestation, money, and meditation to inspire people to get going with their lives. While some may believe that this book is trying to push them too much towards a certain goal or mindset, I agree that being pushed sometimes is a good thing, and change is coming your way. Put in the time for this book, and you will see results!

“If you want to live a life you’ve never lived, you have to do things you’ve never done.”

—Jen Sincero

7) Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day By Jay Shetty

The #1 New York Times bestseller Think Like a Monk “simplifies the timeless wisdom he learned as a monk into practical, actionable steps to train your mind for peace and purpose every day.” I honestly loved this read and thought it provided me with very useful insight and spiritual access to both myself and my surroundings. It trained my mind and body to become at rest, while still growing and changing. 

Jay Shetty hopes to help his audience remove negativity and overcome toxic relationships from the past, create effective morning and evening routines, clear a path for success, and learn to live not just off of others’ opinions and expectations. Self-awareness is one of the largest growth processes and it requires time and energy, but in the end, it can bring you happiness, peace, and clarity. 

Shetty also has published other books and podcasts, and you are even able to gain free access to his “Transform Your Life” workshops if you have purchased his book. 

EXTRA: Do It For Yourself (Guided Journal) By Kara Cutruzzula, Tessa Forrest

This guided self-improvement journal is perfect for high school, college, and young adults wanting a two-in-one. This motivational guide, with its funky bright cover, brings light and inspiration through focusing on your goals, clearing mind clutter, and setting yourself up for success in the future.

The author sets five main categories for the journal: getting going, building momentum, overcoming setbacks, following through, and seeking closure. Buy this awesome, interactive book now!

Hayley is a recent graduate from the University of Connecticut with a degree in Environmental Studies. Following graduation, she is looking to enter a sustainability or eco marine-related career field, where she can help combat global climate change and protect fragile ecosystems on our planet. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Hayley loves to listen to music, go to the beach, create mood boards of her future home and explore new coffee spots!