Seven Reasons Why “The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo” Should Be Your Next Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, the bestselling historical fiction/romance novel by Taylor Jenkins Reid, has been all the rage since its publication in June 2017. Many people in my life and influencers I follow had recommended this book to me, saying it’s one of the best books they’ve ever read. And before I get into the list of reasons why these 400 pages need to be the next thing you lay your eyes on, I must say this book deserves all of the hype.

Monique Grant, an unknown magazine reporter going through life struggles of her own, finds herself holding the opportunity of a lifetime in her hands: to write the biography of Evelyn Hugo, the 79 year-old former Hollywood icon who has not done an interview about her highly critiqued life in over a decade. As Evelyn reveals every detail, Monique (and the reader) learns that not everything is as it seems. The novel will have you turning every page with anticipation for the next twist in the plot, dying to find out why Evelyn has chosen Monique to write her story. Here’s the list:

1. Lessons of love

One of my favorite things about this book is that it demonstrates so many perspectives of how you can love another person. From love that needs to be kept secret, love that hurts, love that is all for show, to love that only leads to loving yourself, there is so much depth in each relationship that Evelyn uncovers the truth of.

2. TWO Main Characters

While the point of this story is to learn about the hidden life of a former star, we learn with Monique, and see how Evelyn’s story impacts her in ways both good and bad. I felt the way the author arranged this was genius, and it allows you to put yourself if the shoes of two women: one at the start of her career, and one at the end.

3. LEarn to be unapologetic

It’s no secret that a lot of women say “sorry” for simply asking for what they want, fighting for it, simply making the life they want for themselves. I know I’m 100% guilty of this, but a huge takeaway I got from this novel was that MY life IS about me, and I shouldn’t be scared to make decisions that benefit me.

“Do youself a favor and learn how to grab life by the balls, dear. Don’t be so tied up trying to do the right thing when the smart thing is so painfully clear.”

Evelyn Hugo

page 30

4. Accept others for who they are

Evelyn is one of the most complex characters I’ve ever gotten to know. You’ll find yourself feeling every way about her; you’ll love her, hate her, and your heart will ache for her. She done a lot of great (and not so great) things, but never asks for applause or much forgiveness. She owns who she is and doesn’t claim to be someone she’s not, but also accepts other people for their flaws because she knows she is not as perfect as Hollywood makes her out to be.

5. Nothing is as it seems

I want to apologize now for being vague, but I’m writing this to convince you to read this book and will not give any spoilers. Being one of the most famous actresses of her time, Evelyn’s dating life was constantly in the headlines. One of the biggest takeaways I got from this book is that people will only let you see what they want you to see, and any assumptions made with that information are just that: assumptions.

6. complex characters

Like I said above, Evelyn’s character is shaped in a way that makes her seem so real. But, there are so many other characters that Reid created that are just as complex in their own ways, and you’re bound to find one that you relate to the most. The author’s skill of bringing these figures to life is astounding.

7. The plot twist of the century

I’m not exaggerating when I say my jaw physically dropped in the last few pages of this book, just ask my roommate. I’m one who hates surprises, so when the plot twisted in a way I could never expect, I knew I needed to recommend this book to as many people as I could. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo was already incredible, but the ending really tied the entire thing together and cleared up any questions you might have had lingering in the back of your mind.

You can learn more about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo and purchase the novel here!

Lindsey is a sophomore at UConn studying Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences. She is also interested in American Sign Language/Deaf Culture, creative writing, and anything and everything to do with Taylor Swift.