The Seven Most Inspiring Emmy Moments

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The 67th annual Emmy Awards aired Sunday, September 20th. In case you missed it, here are the most inspirational moments of the night.

1.) Viola Davis became the first black woman to win an Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series. 

Viola spent her precious time on stage giving a historic speech and empowering women of color. 

2.) Tracy Morgan made an emotional return. 

After being critically injured in a car crash last year, Morgan’s return to the stage made us cry out of admiration for his strength and also because of his still-hilarious jokes. 

3.) Uzo Aduba, or Suzanne “Crazy Eyes” from Orange Is the New Black, earned a historic Emmy win. 

Because Orange Is the New Black switched categories from Comedy to Drama, Aduba’s second consecutive Emmy win for Best Actress in a Drama Series makes her the first actress to win both a comedy and drama award for the same role. Aduba arguably gave the most moving speech of the night. 

4.) Empire‘s Taraji P. Henson had nothing but pride for her friends, and we loved it. 

Henson gave Viola Davis a standing ovation during her entire speech. This is what real friendship looks like. 

5.) After being snubbed for eight years, Jon Hamm FINALLY won the Emmy for his portrayal of Don Draper in the acclaimed series Mad Men. 

Hamm was so shocked by his win that he forgot how to use the stairs.  

6.) Bill Murray skipped the Emmys to attend his son’s wedding in Philedelphia. 

I’m not sure what’s more amazing: Murray still winning Emmy’s at 65, the fact that he skipped the awards, or these lucky band members who snagged this epic photo with the legend himself. 

7.) Amy Poehler embraced her Emmy’s losing streak 

But don’t feel too bad; Poehler won the Golden Globe last year for her portrayal of Leslie Knope on the beloved Parks and Recreation.