Sam Levinson’s Newest Show: ‘The Idol’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you were a fan of Sam Levinson’s Euphoria, his upcoming HBO drama series might be right up your ally. The show stars Abel Tesfaye, also known as The Weeknd, and daughter of renowned actor Johnny Depp, Lily-Rose Depp.

what’s it about?

The series explores the relationship between Jocelyn (Lily-Rose Depp), an up-and-coming pop star, and Tedros (The Weeknd), a Los Angeles club owner and cult leader. Jocelyn has a nervous breakdown that stops her from finishing her tour, and seeks to claim the title of the sexiest pop star in America. Little has been revealed about the plot of the music-industry drama, besides the fact that it is supposedly “the sleaziest love story in all of Hollywood.” Intrigued is an understatement.

is there a trailer?

The official teaser was released in April of 2023, which you can watch here. The trailer credits the show’s creation to “the sick and twisted minds of the creator of Euphoria — Sam Levinson — and Abel ‘The Weeknd’ Tesfaye.” Opening with Depp dancing to Britney Spears’ “Gimmie More,” the soundtrack of this series is sure to be top-tier. The trailer looks to be chock-full of drugs, sex, partying, dancing, and music. What more could you ask for? Based on the trailer, we can expect a similar level of iconic fashion and makeup moments to Levinson’s Euphoria. Featuring other noteworthy names like Troye Sivan, Suzanna Son, Dan Levy, Jennie Kim, and more, the series is perceived to draw some attention.

when can i watch it?

The six-part series is set to premiere on June 4, 2023, and will be available to watch on HBO Max exclusively.

Annika is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying Communication.