This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The first week of September marked the beginning of New York’s Mercedes Benz Fashion week. Celebrities, reporters and designers joined in celebration of the best looks. Women are often skeptical of high fashions on the runway. A common misconception young women have is that they could never wear the styles presented on the runway. Maybe they feel that the outfits are too exocentric.

I believe that if you truly look at the base of the outfit or style you will recognize trends that you are already fashioning today! The color olive was prominent in last week’s fashion week. My first week back at UConn I saw several pairs of olive pants, shoes and even several olive bags. Although high fashion can be extremely loud and over the top, we can absolutely incorporate pieces into our collegiette style!

Another trend I recognized that has already reached UConn’s fashionistas was peplum tops. Designers such as Dona Karen and Prabal Gurung incorporated pieces into their line that closely resembled the style of a peplum fitted top. Getting ideas from New York’s fashion week and putting a collegiette flare on it is the best way to stay in style!

Erin is a journalism and communications student at the University of Connecticut who loves to learn about all aspects of magazine journalism and believes magazines are the perfect form of free expression. Erin is normally found holding a copy of Vogue, Seventeen or Elle and is constantly following the latest trends from Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. She always sets aside time in her day to have a good laugh, which usually includes reruns of Friends and Boy Meets World.