Run Away From Stress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Tunnel vision, a clear head focused on one thing; your destination, your finish line, the end of your run. There is nothing else like the wind in your hair, the strength in your legs, and the music in your ears to relieve stress and free your mind.

Some girls use running simply to stay in shape or have always been an avid runner since high school. I am the type of runner who doesn’t worry about anything else while they run.

Whatever the reason is that you run, there is a place for you on campus to do it. If you are sick of your route or just want options to switch it up during the week try out these different spots on campus.

–          Horsebarn Hill Road—if you don’t mind the smell of animals and enjoy a great scenic view, this is the run route for you. A great view of the UConn forest and side trails and longer paths for the more experienced runner.

–          Campus outskirts—if having a more distinct mileage, start and stop is your scene try running on the side walk along the edges of campus, 195-North Eagleville rd- hillside past Gampel and down past alumni and south to finish back on 195. Of course you can pick any of the roads as your starting point.

–          Mansfield Hollow—only four miles off campus, Mansfield hollow is a beautiful state park with lake. Enjoy nice weather and views at this remote run.

–          Celeron path—are you looking for a trail to run, maybe this is what you are looking for. Located on North Hillside road near C-lot.

–          The Track—not the first choice for most runners but it is there and a great place to start if you’re just beginning to run. Running on a track is also better on your knees from what I’ve been told as well as pacing yourself.

Don’t stop just because it is winter! When winter gets here, try running inside the Greer Field House on the indoor track or if you can stand it, there is always treadmills in the gym.

Check out this interactive map to see exactly where these routes are;

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zLPCw7pAVt28.kKpowLtWJh8k