Roz “The Diva” Mays at UConn for NEDA Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

On Monday, February 22 in Oak Hall,  UConn’s Students Helping to Achieve Positive Esteem (S.H.A.P.E.) hosted “How Pole Made Me Brave,” starring Roz “The Diva” Mays. Roz is a pole dance teacher and fitness instructor in Brooklyn, New York.

Roz posing with members of UConn S.H.A.P.E.

UConn S.H.A.P.E. is a peer education group on campus that promotes body positivity and encourages self-esteem.  Their event, which kicked off National Eating Disorders Awareness Week, began with Roz sharing this video that introduced her.  Although she is not the stereotypical pole dancing body type, the video demonstrated her confidence and attitude on stage.

Rocking a purple “Pole like a Damn Diva” tank top and huge hoop earrings, Roz gave a little backstory about her life and explained how she ended up on the pole. Growing up, she said she was the “fat kid” at school, always getting picked last in gym class. She explained how she got made fun of for not being athletic and for being bigger than the other girls her age. Her self-consciousness began at a young age- “My value got caught up in my size in regards to athletics,” she explained, which then affected all other aspects of her life.

While working at schools and for nonprofits, Roz found herself on the pole at age 23. After three years of “poling,” she entered a pole dancing competition (yes, those are a real thing) and won. She said her win was a “really, really big deal” because it proved she had the athletic abilities that kids used to make fun of her for lacking. Poling gave her the confidence and strength she never had before. It became an activity that allowed her to showcase her athletic ability and to let her natural beauty shine through.

Roz went on to explain how all of the attention she gained from her success ultimately led to many things: leaving her nine-to-five jobs, becoming a stunt double for actress Luenell Campbell, and even auditioning for America’s Got Talent. Now Roz is a full time personal trainer and has been teaching pole lessons for five years. She encourages women to embrace their bodies and not to be ashamed if they are not the body shape deemed acceptable by society.

During the Q&A portion of the event, an audience member asked Roz what advice she would give someone struggling with positive body image. Roz replied with her top three most important things: 

1.    Be in good company. Surround yourself with positivity and a squad that is going to support you

2.    Find an activity that brings you joy because the best of you is going to eventually come out naturally

3.    Give yourself time to grow

She emphasized that she is still growing and her journey to loving herself is still not over and it will probably never be over. It’s all about who you surround yourself with and what kinds of activities you throw yourself into. She emphasized the importance of doing something that you love.

Overall, the talk was interactive and celebrated individuality. Roz was empowering and unbelievably motivational. Her outgoing personality and ability to inspire radiated throughout the room.

Key takeaways from Roz’s speech were that strength is not beauty, to never let anyone get in the way of your dreams and finally, in the words of Roz Mays: “Be your own person.”

Inspired by Roz? Follow her on Facebook, Instragram, and Twitter! Also, follow S.H.A.P.E. on Facebook to find out what else they have planned for National Eating Disorders Awareness Week.

If you or anyone you know is struggling with body image or an eating disorder, here are a few resources available:

• Counseling and Mental Health Services: 860-486-4705
  • Nutrition Office: 860-486-0771
  • Women’s Clinic: 860-486-4837
  • National Eating Disorder helpline: 1-800-931-2237