A Review of The Winter’s Tale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The Connecticut Repertory Theatre did an excellent rendition of William Shakespeare’s play The Winter’s Tale. It was directed by Dale AJ Rose and had a respectable run from March 22- April 1, 2012. It was performed on the studio theatre stage near the fine arts department right on the UConn campus. Beside the studio theatre being small and stuffy the actors’ roles were well portrayed as if it was second nature to them. It was my first CRT performance and I understand now why they have such a good reputation. The stage was small but they used their space well, using every inch of the stage at one point or another. The costumes were not too elaborate, but appropriate for the play and the characters. The play’s duration was a two-and-a-half-hour long production, but if you enjoy Shakespeare it is worth it. My only critique was that some of their props were not fitting to the time period, such as the balloons they used in one of the scenes. All in all, I thought it was elegantly performed.

Caitlin is a Communication major with minors in Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Connecticut. She has always loved to write, but she caught the advertising bug at UConn and now dreams of creating ads that people will always remember. When she's not studying mass media or reading advertising blogs, Caitlin loves making collages, riding horses, and surprising people!