The Rave About Lulu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The New York Times published an article on Wednesday explaining the new phenomenon of a girl’s only app, a tool made to allow women to take control of the hookup world and come together to give other women advice on men they may have never met. Lulu Founder, Alexandra Chong said, “I created the app because my girlfriends and I needed it.”

Lulu is an app specifically created for women that allows us to anonymously review and rate boys on campus or Facebook! This is your personal space to network. You can view ratings that other girls have posted and see which guys are trending while keeping track of your favorite guys! Cosmopolitan described this new app as, “Sex and the City marries Facebook.” It is your own portable diary, a running list of all the cuties you have your eye on and the exes you need to warn other girls about! 

Lulu prides itself in its ability to keep everything anonymous and private. When you download the app, it will automatically find all of your male Facebook friends and your current location. Then a combination of the guys in your surrounding area and your guy friends on Facebook will appear on the home screen allowing you to browse and view other ratings and reviews. Some girls are concerned that because they must use their Facebook accounts to get onto Lulu, that someone can see who and how they are reviewing but this is absolutely not true. In fact, nobody but you can who is creating the reviews, just what the review actually says.

When creating reviews, the Lulu team will provide you with pre-maid questions and hashtags to pick from and don’t be shy because you can pick as many hashtags as apply to him! The ratings and reviews are there to highlight his good qualities such as his #4.00 gpa or his #sixpack, but don’t be afraid to point out some things he needs to work on, like getting rid of his #loserfriends or the fact that he is always #gonebymorning. Once you have created the review, Lulu takes your entry and compares it to previous reviews, calculating an overall rating (1-10).

When reviewing a guy on Lulu, girls indicate whether they know him from a past relationship, friendship, hookup or simply because you have a crush on him. Again, this allows other women to understand a little bit better who he is and if he would be someone she should try to get to know.

This new girls only app also allows you to browse quickly through different categories, narrowing your search down to the guys you know you’d be interested in! These different groups include those with the highest and lowest scores, the funny guys, smart guys, sweet guys, loyal guys and even the really great kissers! You may also want to view guys specifically in your area instead of just the guys that you are friends with on Facebook already and Lulu allows you to do that!

Do you ever have that burning desire to ask a guy a question that only they can answer but your too nervous or embarrassed? Or do you ever just wonder what a guy’s opinion on love or relationships is? Well, Lulu also has a Dear Dude column where girls are able to anonymously ask any question and receive a detailed answer from the male perspective. This is where you can tell the dude what is going on and what you want to know from him, and again it doesn’t matter how awkward or embarrassing the question may be because everything is anonymous.

Lulu also has its own blog where we can read through different Lulu Diary entries and receive some advice from the Lulu team while appreciating some women’s humor! This app makes you feel empowered and in control of your love life! Don’t forget to check out the NY Times article about Lulu and download the app today! 

Erin is a journalism and communications student at the University of Connecticut who loves to learn about all aspects of magazine journalism and believes magazines are the perfect form of free expression. Erin is normally found holding a copy of Vogue, Seventeen or Elle and is constantly following the latest trends from Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. She always sets aside time in her day to have a good laugh, which usually includes reruns of Friends and Boy Meets World.