Rachel Conboy: Student Body President

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Meet Rachel Conboy, study body president and recently named one of Her Campus’ “22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women”.

Name: Rachel Conboy

Major: Political Science & History

Year of Graduation: 2016

Why were you selected as one of Her Campus’ “22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women”?

RC: I think I was nominated mainly for my work with USG, and the work I do with Adam (Vice President) in trying to create a community and change the culture here. Also, for the work I do outside of USG. I mentor occasionally at my old high school. It’s cool to go back.

What do you do as a mentor?

RC: I like to do unofficial things. I was a part of a group that went to high schools that don’t have many resources to give to students to help them go to college. Occasionally, I still like to go back to different high schools and help kids that I’ve connected with. I know that was something I really needed in high school. I really needed that older person who had been in my shoes. Specifically, someone who had been in the situation I was in was in, and could come to me and talk to me about how they got through it. Just someone who could support me.

Do you feel if you didn’t have that level of support in high school, you wouldn’t be where you are today?

RC: Absolutely, 110%. You need someone there. [In the “22 Under 22 Most Inspiring College Women” article,] I talked about my teacher from high school who I still go back to. If I didn’t have her or other people around me, saying “get your sh*t together,” I wouldn’t be here today. I didn’t want to go to college entering my senior year of high school, which is interesting because here I am.

What would you say to kids in a situation similar to the one you were in in high school?

RC: I would say to really take time and ask yourself what kind of person you want to be. It’s also important to accept the fact that college isn’t for everyone. I didn’t think it was for me until I really stepped back and knew what I wanted to do. But I have friends that didn’t go to college and they’re successful and doing great in their trade or in the military. So my biggest thing is, if you follow what you love and you’re really honest with yourself about what you want to do, you’ll become successful. And that makes people look up to you.  I’m not the best at math and I hated science. But I’m doing what I love by working with people, and that’s what I think really perpetuated who I am.

Can you tell me a little more about the work you do here at UConn?

RC: I started my sophomore year when I transferred to UConn as a multicultural diversity senator. I started working with cultural centers more. Next year, I took on student development chair, which is a position where I dealt with the campus community, campus culture, and traditions on campus. That was a lot of fun because we were working together and bringing students closer. That was the year the Title IX case really came to campus and students started to reflect on that. That wasn’t something we had even thought of or something that I was aware was an issue. And I think that was a great thing that we helped to bring to state legislature and get passed. And now I’m president.

What is your favorite experience as UConn student?

RC: The coolest moment where I really felt like this is UConn, this is why people come here was when I was in Gampel when we won the National Championship. I know people come here for research and academics and I hate the whole “being about sports” thing. But it wasn’t just that we won. It wasn’t what was going on on the screen. It was about what was going on in Gampel. It was more that we were coming together and being there. And that was awesome. 

What kind of impact do you hope you’ve made on the UConn community?

RC: The quote I always think of is, “people forget what you said, they forget what you did, but they remember how you made them feel.” And I really hope that’s the impact I left. Because I came into a place that was welcoming to me, but had this awful reputation of not being welcoming and or inclusive. I hope people say I did everything I could to make everyone feel welcome. USG is already kicking a**, activist wise, by going to the state legislature and making changes. I have an amazing organization. But my thing is making sure everyone is welcoming here.

Don’t forget to check-out Rachel’s interview for “22 Under 22 Most Ispiring College Women.”