This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

POV: It’s mid-March and you’re on day 7 of the Chloe Ting workout. Remember our queen Chloe Ting? The Instagram influencer that single-handedly convinced us we could get shredded in 2 weeks or less. Yeah… her. 

I’m going to be honest here, I’ve never been the stereotypical “skinny” girl. I unapologetically wear a size 12 and am a firm believer in eating dessert every night. So when the pandemic hit, I thought, like almost every other woman in the world, what a great time to get in shape! 

woman measuring her hips with a yellow measuring tape
Photo by Huha Inc. from Unsplash

And so, I started my daily walks, YouTube workouts, and calorie cutting. I obsessed over every little thing that I did, because what else did I have to do in lockdown? And the results? I’m still fifteen pounds heavier than when the pandemic started. 

So where did I go wrong? To be honest, I don’t think I did. The pandemic that was supposed to last two weeks has lasted nine months, with little sign of stopping. In between baking banana bread, we went into complete isolation from our friends, stress watched what was quite possibly the most important election of our lives, and advocated for social justice. And were we really supposed to stress over a few pounds? 

pink yoga mat with two pink weights and other exercise equipment
Photo by Elena Kloppenburg from Unsplash

If you too have felt the pressure from ‘TikTok Pandemic Glow-Up’s’ and the thought that we had all the time in the world and we still couldn’t get “skinny”, here are a few ways to cope: 

Throw Out Old Clothing 

You don’t need to be reminded that your body has changed every time you put on that old pair of jeans. So please just throw them out, or sell them on Poshmark and use the money to buy a size that actually fits and makes you feel good! 

Do What Makes Your Body Feel Good 

If HIIT workouts and 5-mile runs aren’t your thing, try something else. My favorite has been this MadFit Yoga Video that’s all about breathing and stretching. 

Unfollow on Social Media 

Supermodels and weight loss success stories DO NOT need to cloud your feed. Instead, I have been searching “Size 12 Bloggers” and filling my feed with women that look like me. 

Talk to Someone

Therapy is virtual nowadays, meaning you can talk to someone from the comfort of your own home, with like, your cat present. If your insurance covers it, or you are okay with a small co-pay, there is no hurt in trying. 

Words of Affirmation

Put up sticky notes around your home that say whatever you need to hear most. Make sure you write them, so you know that they are coming from yourself, to yourself. 

Remember It’s Okay & You’re Not Alone 

Although it might seem like everyone has gotten fit in the past year, that’s totally not true. Plenty of us has gained weight. And you know what? That’s completely normal! It’s a global freakin pandemic after all. And no number on the scale can take away the sheer fact that you are a BABE. 

Jennie is a senior at The University of Connecticut studying communications, a previous intern for Her Campus Nationals, and the editor-in-chief of Her Campus UConn! You can find her on instagram @jennie.fetzer, or in the decor section of TJMaxx buying candles.