A Preseason Look at the Uconn Men’s Basketball Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Expectations for the UConn Men’s Basketball team this upcoming season have never been higher. After coming off a re-building year, the players are itching to get back into the final four once again.  With the transfer from Seton Hall, Sterling Gibbs, and freshman Jalen Adams coming into the program this year, the Huskies will have no problem filling the shoes of graduated point guard Ryan Boatright.

Rodney Purvis, a returning guard, will be the backbone for the point guards and will be ready for the ball outside of the three-point line. Sophmore Daniel Hamilton is also a returning player with high potential for this coming season.  After coming off last season as the American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year, there is an immense amount of pressure and expectation for Hamilton to lead the team to success. With the skill he possesses, there is no reason for him not to live up to head coach Kevin Ollie’s expectations. The potential of having strong ball handlers that can pass and shoot the ball this season will help dictate the tempo of the game and push the ball up to the post players in the paint. 

Since there are a lot of new faces coming into the UConn program for the upcoming 2015-2016 season, the presence of veteran players Amida Brimah, Omar Calhoun, Kentan Facey, and Phil Nolan will help new players to adjust. The incredible variety of talent and experience on this team will help close out the nail-biter games instead of reliving the heartbreaking losses we had to go through last season.