This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Have you made your summer road trip list yet? If you haven’t, here are a few places you can start! Finals week is quickly approaching and that means the spring semester is almost over. Summer is so close and I can’t wait to feel the sand between my toes. Even though I have an internship this summer, I still plan on spending my weekends on a beach and you should too! I have made a list of a few of my favorite places to go and things to do while you are there.

Rhode Island has the best beaches and they’re all over the state, which makes it so hard to pick just one. I have narrowed down the search to my personal favorites and I hope you get a chance to visit them.

New Shoreham, RI (aka Block Island)

Block Island is just a short ferry ride off the southern coast of Rhode Island.  The main part of town is located right by the ferry terminal and if you are interested in exploring the rest of the island, there are plenty of places you can rent a bike, vespa, or car.  Block Island is a perfect place to travel with your best friends for a day trip or a weekend stay.  The main part of town is fairly small and great for local shopping and dining.  You’ll also want to explore the rest of the island – there are two lighthouses, beautiful beaches and 25 miles of walking trails for for great ocean views.  

Newport, RI

Newport, Rhode Island is known for its larger-than-life mansions, but this seaside city has so much more to offer.  Visit the famous cliff walk or drive along the coast and take in the beautiful ocean scenery.  Have a bowl of Rhode Island’s clear broth clam chowder at The Landing.  You can even charter an America’s Cup Winning Yacht for private sailing or public group sunset sails – this is something you will need mom and dad’s wallet for.

Watch Hill, RI

(Taylor Swift’s House)

Watch Hill is just over the Connecticut border, so this would be the perfect way to spend a summer beach day with your friends.  Watch Hill has beautiful public beaches, a shopping area and places to eat all on the main road.  Another thing you might want to do when you visit is to walk around the famous Ocean House, it just went through a $140 Million renovation and it is just gorgeous.  The paths behind the Ocean House are open to the public so take a walk and see the beautiful gardens.  You might even see Taylor Swift since she owns a house in Watch Hill, she has been known to be a frequent visitor.

Myrtle Beach, SC

Myrtle Beach is just miles of sand and boardwalk.  Take a road trip down to South Carolina with your best friends and just enjoy the sunshine and southern hospitality.  Charter a boat, rent a jet ski, learn how to surf, go to a water park – Myrtle Beach has it all!

New York City

This is a must.  There is so much to do in New York City, it would be impossible to cover it all in a day.  Have a picnic in Central Park, go to a museum (there’s probably a hundred), go shopping in SoHo, pretend you’re Blair and Serena and head to the Upper East Side.  If nightclubs are your thing, grab your best pair of pumps and hit the town.  Lavo, Marquee and Highline are only a few favorites of mine, NYC is the city that never sleeps and there is a bar around every corner.

Boston, MA

Boston has so much to offer and it is the perfect city to travel to on a breezy, cool summer day. Of course there are more well known tourist areas like the North End (aka Little Italy) for Mike’s Pastry’s famous cannolis, and Fenway Park to see a Red Sox game. If you’re on a budget and still trying to see some cool places definitely check the Boston Calendar for fun, free events happening. Take advantage of the markets because local food and culture is so underrated in Boston. Also, make sure to walk the Charles River Esplanade and check out the docks. The Boston Commons is always an ideal picnic spot since it puts you in the middle of everything! Newbury Street, historic sites, the Harbor and Charles street are all in walking distance.

Make sure you take time to travel this summer!  There are so many places you can go that are just a couple hours away.

Ari is a self admitted fashion-aholic with an insatiable appetite for handbags and beauty products - not necessarily in that order.  When she is not bingeing on Netflix, daydreaming about Louboutins or scouring the Internet for "up to the minute" entertainment news, she can be found at the nearby Sephora offering advice on the latest and greatest must-haves - and NO - she does not work there.