Our Chapter’s Recipe Book for St. Patty’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Our chapter is truly looking forward to celebrating St. Patrick’s Day this year and cannot stop talking about the perfect treats to prepare in honor of the holiday. Sure it is about having the perfect green outfit and finding the best place to celebrate but what is a holiday without food? Here is a compilation of recipes that we have used or plan to try this year.  No matter where you are on St. Patrick’s Day, these recipes will not disappoint. 

1. Looking for a healthy yet fun snack to bring to this year’s celebration? Try this rainbow of fruit platter

What you will need:

-blueberries, strawberries, grapes, pinapple, marshmellows and Rollos

2. Spending the whole day outside watching the parade can be tough with our typical chilly March weather. Come in and enjoy a nice warm bowl of Irish stew.

What you will need:

3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, 3 pounds beef chuck, excess fat trimmed, cut in 1 1/2 inch pieces, salt, freshly ground black pepper, 4 cloves garlic, chopped 1/3 cup tomato paste, 2 cups beef stock, 1 1/2 cups stout beer, 2 teaspoons dried thyme, 2 bay leaves3 large carrots, sliced 1/4-inch thick, 1 large yellow onion, cut in 1-inch pieces, 1 large rutabaga, cut in 3/4-inch pieces, 1 large parsnip, cut in 3/4-inch pieces

3. Not looking for a full meal but want to have a little bit of an Irish celebration in the kitchen? Try these ruben sliders. They are just enough to get that taste of corned beef you have been waiting for all year.

What you will need:

-corned beef, small rolls, cheese, cabbage and spicy mustard

4. Irish soda bread is a landmark in America in terms of celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. Since everyone is Irish for the day, try this recipe and grab a friend to bake with. I can assure you that people will be knocking on your door begging for a slice of bread. 

There are many different ways to make Irish soda bread. Try my secret family recipe this year!

What you will neeed:

– 4 cups of flour, 1 cup of sugar, tsp. baking soda, tsp. baking powder, a dash of salt, one stick of butter, 1 cup of golden and brown raisins mixed together (soak in hot water for 15 mins. prior), 3 Tblsp. of caraway seeds and 1 3/4 cup of buttermilk

1. Mix the dry ingredients together with the stick of softened butter

2.  Add the caraway seeds, rasins and buttermilk

3. Form the dough into a ball

4. Place in cast-iron skillet, spread out evenly

5. Take a tblsp of buttermilk and smooth out the top

6. Put a cross down the middle and bake it at 450 degrees for 10 minutes

7. Then bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes

Erin is a journalism and communications student at the University of Connecticut who loves to learn about all aspects of magazine journalism and believes magazines are the perfect form of free expression. Erin is normally found holding a copy of Vogue, Seventeen or Elle and is constantly following the latest trends from Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. She always sets aside time in her day to have a good laugh, which usually includes reruns of Friends and Boy Meets World.