alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Open Letter to My Ex’s New Girlfriend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Dear New Girlfriend,

First of all, I want you to know that I do not hate you; I do not even know you. I have zero negative feelings towards you. To be perfectly honest, I am happy for you.

I think about both of you more than I probably should. Part of me still lives in the past and gets stuck on all of the good times. Some would argue that I suffer from jealousy but that is not the case at all. I am not jealous of you. I am not jealous of you because I know he is in a better place with you than he ever was with me and that is the most satisfying thing ever.

I want you to know how happy I am for you. He is one of the greatest guys I have ever known and anyone is lucky to have him. I hope he treats you better than he treated me. As many good times as there were, they were outweighed by the bad times. I put more effort into the relationship than he did and I got to the point where I knew I deserved better. I do not want this to happen to you. I hope he is giving you the effort he realized he should have given me. I hope he has found the perfect balance among you, his hobbies, and his friends- the balance he never found with me. I hope he gives you everything you ask of him because you deserve that.

As lucky as you are to have him, he is just as lucky to have you. He is lucky to have someone who completes him in a way that I never did. Someone who supports him, accepts him, and loves him in ways I probably should have but never could. I know now that it was never meant to be with him and me. We were never forever. There was always going to be a piece of the puzzle missing. Whether you are his forever or not, cherish what you have. Cherish his silliness, his kindness, his determination, and his loyalty. I never appreciated any of those qualities in him like I should have.

You must be special… which is why I cannot hate you. You make him happy and that makes me happy. I know it took a lot for him to move on. Understand that. You were the light at the end of his dark tunnel. All I ask from you is to not dim that light. Stay bright. Be there for him. He picked you for a reason so just know he must see something amazing in you. 

I truly believe that everything happens for a reason and I know his relationship with me was just a stepping stone in his path to you. I know my relationship with him was just a necessary learning experience for the both of us and I will treasure that forever. I have no regrets.

I hope you know how lucky you are to be his girlfriend. I hope you appreciate him every single day and do not take advantage of how great of a person he truly is. I hope you get all of the good and none of the bad. I hope he worked out all of his kinks in our relationship so that you get the absolute best of version him- the version I never saw but knew he could be.

I truly, honestly want nothing but the best for both of you. I hope you are each other’s missing puzzle pieces.

Sincerely,

His Ex