Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Gossip Girl Blair Waldorf Shopping?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW
Style > Fashion

NYC-Inspired Fashion Favorites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

While procrastinating my finals, a lot of my time has been spent on Pinterest searching for outfit ideas to put together once I go home this semester. During my deep internet dives, I tend to gravitate toward NYC fashion. This summer I interned in NYC and found myself testing out creative looks in my professional wardrobe. In a rural college town, I find it more tempting to fit in and dress in athleisure and sweats, especially during the cold December months. If you’re looking to subtly spice up your everyday outfits or looking for items to add to your Christmas list, keep reading.

Leather jacket

Leather jackets were popular in women’s clothes in the 2010s but sort of fell off until recently. I’m glad they’ve returned because it’s a nice way to add a sort of edge or flair to an outfit. These can be easily found thrifting or in any vintage store. I admire the way leather can be dressed up or down depending on what you wear with it. Leaving the jacket open is also a convenient way to show off your outfit if you pair it with a scarf or an eye-catching necklace. Having a jacket that enhances your outfit is something that will make dressing up convenient when it can be easy to wear zip-ups that take away from what the outfit is.

baby tees

Next is baby tees. They’re a cute and comfortable style option. Brandy Melville and Urban Outfitters have a good collection of baby tees in their stores. Whether the shirt has a cute design or writing, I think they’re such a fun way to be stylish while still wearing a tee-shirt. If you are having trouble finding a baby tee, you could always go to the little kid’s section and find a shirt that has the same fit. A fair warning is that the sleeve opening might be snug around your shoulders. In general, I see tiny shirts or oversized shirts becoming more of a staple. Extreme-sized shirts appear more intentional than regular-fitting shirts.

Lace skirts

I purchased a white lace skirt this Black Friday and am obsessed with it. I love how it pairs well with different tops and layers to make it a mismatched yet cohesive fit. What I have seen in NYC fashion is that outfits that are put together too well can be boring. Adding pieces that seemingly wouldn’t go together makes your outfit stand out. You can turn the lace skirt into streetwear, pairing it with a more casual or bold shirt or jacket on top as well as accessories. Boots and sneakers also pair well with a lace skirt and can dress it up or down. Dainty skirts and the coquette aesthetic have been trending lately and I can see lace skirts being paired with a bow, whether it be in your hair or on another article of clothing. Lace skirts can be incorporated into various style aesthetics.  The only issue with a lace skirt is that it is sheer. I have seen people wear pants underneath them. I think that a nude or white skirt underneath would enhance the skirt the best without distracting from it. 

Bows

Bows, bows, bows — I don’t know about you but I constantly see girls wearing bows. They are super popular on social media. There are even trends on TikTok where girls will add a bow where it’s not needed as a joke. I have seen bacon tied into a bow and a breakup text with a bow on top. On a less funny note, bows are cute and they’re in style! At UConn, I see girls wear bows to sporting events such as basketball games. It is a cute way to show off school spirit. One of my predictions is that ever since “lacy” by Olivia Rodrigo came out, the bow craze has manifested. In her song, Olivia describes a girl named Lacy and how perfect she seems to be, she says “I care, I care, I care, like ribbons in your hair.” Ever since, I have seen ponytails, pigtails, and half-up-half-down styles with ribbons tied in the shape of a bow. However you want to style bows whether it is on clothes, shows, or in your hair, I adore this girly style.

heart necklace

Heart necklaces have been a timeless piece of jewelry. However, when I am talking about heart necklaces, I mean the chunky ones that are on a string, not on a chain. Although I own and love wearing my normal heart chain necklaces, chunky necklaces are more in style now. Chunky necklaces with a heart can be a feminine yet laidback piece of jewelry for an outfit. This style would cater more toward indie or streetwear. I have seen heart necklaces sold at Garage, Urban Outfitters, etc. Typically, the heart is silver with a black string but I find myself to be more of a gold girl. I have a heart necklace with a red heart and the clasp is gold. I also have a completely white heart necklace that I also find myself wearing a lot. If you make jewelry or would like to, this could be a simple DIY if you have a jewelry string chain and a heart pendant to put on.

Scarves

In the chilly NYC air or any northern area, keeping the heat in is a must. I was thrilled to see scarves making their comeback. When we were little, none of us wanted to wear scarves. It was something that our parents forced us to wear to not get sick. Luckily, chunky scarfs are in and also have been a great way to fill in the gaps where we might get cold. I think they are such a convenient way to add a pop of color to your outfit. There are so many ways to wear a scarf to make it look like it adds to your outfit. You can even wear it around your head to keep warm or draped around your shoulders just to show it off. 

conclusion

There is so much to love about fashion and trying out new trends. I know there are a few listed here that I am excited to test out. I hope to have inspired you to try out some of these staples or add some to your wishlist this holiday season. 

Emily is the Facebook Chair of Her Campus UConn. Emily is a junior at the University of Connecticut, majoring in Communication. She enjoys writing for entertainment about fashion and lifestyle. Additionally, she loves to give advice on topics such as career and self-love. Emily has had multiple internships related to marketing and social media. She has interned for a vegan pizza company, a NYC fashion show, and her latest internship at LKPR where she dove into public relations related to toy companies. When Emily is not writing articles she might be listening to the Lumineers, grabbing a pumpkin cream cold brew, or thrifting.