New Album, New Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We all hit that point in our lives when we decide there is a definite need for change. This change can be as simple as a new hair color or as complex as moving to a different country. In Taylor Swift’s case, it was crossing over from a country music star to an all around superstar.

America’s innocent country star made a statement with her new album called “1989”.  The singer named the album after the year she was born as if she is redefining who she is.

For over a decade the young and talented blonde conformed to the role of leading country singer. After altering her delicate country persona, Forbes described Swift as having superstar status. Throughout her career she racked up seven Grammy Awards and was consistently named to the top 100 songs in the United States.

Swift’s career launched at age sixteen. As a twenty-four year-old woman everything is different than it was in your teens. Her new persona is fierce and independent. Although her new album is different than what we normally expect of Swift, she still has a story to tell and she did not shed her responsibility of being a role model for women everywhere.

I think her recent move from Nashville to New York exemplifies the fact that being a woman in your twenties requires that you follow your heart and go after your dreams.  Swift continues to inspire women and make her way onto every college girl’s road trip mix.

She is a new woman with a new album, look out world. 

Erin is a journalism and communications student at the University of Connecticut who loves to learn about all aspects of magazine journalism and believes magazines are the perfect form of free expression. Erin is normally found holding a copy of Vogue, Seventeen or Elle and is constantly following the latest trends from Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger. She always sets aside time in her day to have a good laugh, which usually includes reruns of Friends and Boy Meets World.