Netflix’s “Inventing Anna”: Is it worth the hype? 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The Netflix limited series Inventing Anna has exploded on social media since its late February release, making several news headlines and generating viral TikTok audios. The series tells the real-life story of Anna Delvey, a Russian-German con artist who scammed her way through New York City businesses and hotels between 2013 and 2017 prior to her arrest. Delvey, whose legal last name is Sorokin, pretends to be a German heiress to attract the attention of important New York society members and kickstart an upscale private art club called “The Anna Delvey Foundation.”  

The series is from the perspective of a different character in Delvey’s story each episode, such as friends she met through the fashion industry, ex-boyfriends, lawyers, and family members. Each perspective is used for a feature on Delvey that journalist Vivian Kent is writing for New York Magazine. The show revolves around Kent’s investigative journalism and how she crafts a detailed story on the timeline of Delvey’s downfall. Let’s discuss whether this nine-episode series is worth the binge-watch; because, there is no way you will be able to spread this one out for more than a week. 

Warning: minor spoiler alerts ahead. 

Many shots of Delvey shopping downtown, dining at expensive restaurants and even stealing a private jet are paired with upbeat songs by Megan The Stallion, Doja Cat and Travis Scott to put a modern twist on the show that attracts Gen Z viewers. If the aspect of glitz and glamour was not a feature of the depiction of Delvey’s story, the series would not have been as big of a hit. Focusing on the extreme highs and lows of her time in New York provides a sense of action and adrenaline for viewers. Whether Delvey is spending thousands on champagne with friends at the newest New York restaurant or crying in a hotel lobby begging for a room to sleep in, the concept of monetary gain and loss is definitely a key factor in the success of this show. 

Let’s talk about acting. Julia Garner, the actress who plays Delvey, is known for her role in Netflix’s Ozark and does a phenomenal job in portraying this character. The real-life Anna Delvey is not a likable character. She rarely shows remorse for her actions and continually digs herself into a deep hole of money troubles. Delvey’s character is so much more than a typical trust-fund brat; she is a criminal mastermind disguised as such, and Garner pinpoints this evil personality in her acting. Vivian Kent is played by actress Anna Chlumsky, who has the role of portraying a journalist who is overly invested in her career. Kent’s neglect of her family and her obsession with Delvey’s life throughout the series makes you hate her and admire her dedication all at the same time. If you are a writer or an aspiring journalist, Kent’s character will inspire and motivate you to follow your intuitions no matter what. 

According to Insider, Netflix paid Delvey $320,000 for the rights to her story. Delvey used $199,000 to partially pay back the banks she stole from, $24,000 to pay state fines and $75,000 to pay attorney fees. There is no doubt that Inventing Anna makes for great television and conversation among viewers, and it certainly makes you want to be wealthy and live in New York City. After you are done watching, it is surreal to research the characters in real life to see where they are today and how the scandal has affected them. So, yes, this one is worth the binge-watch! 

Grace is a senior Journalism and English double major at the University of Connecticut. When she's not writing for Her Campus, you can find her making drink creations as a Starbucks barista, headed to spin class, reading the newest books, or writing for the Daily Campus!