This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Nothing makes me happier than spending all of my money on music. Band merchandise, records, and posters are littered all across my living spaces. My favorite music-related thing to spend my money on is concerts. I’ve been to 11 concerts that cover a wide range of genres. Here are the top five concerts I’ve been to.

Big Time Rush: Can’t Get Enough Tour

I saw BTR on July 12, 2023, at the Xfinity Center in Mansfield, Massachusetts. My seat was towards the back of the large venue. I was far from the stage, but there was a large screen above my seat that allowed me to see what was happening.

BTR rose to the stage covered in a layer of fog. The set had large box stairs that the group danced on. They had choreography, costume changes, and a lot of audience engagement. They also played a montage from their Nickelodeon TV Show, Big Time Rush.

photo of Big Time Rush concert
Photo by Mikayla Bunnell

The tour was in promotion of their newest album, Another Life (2023). The crowd wasn’t nearly as loud for the songs from the album as they were for the classics — namely “Big Time Rush,” “Boyfriend,” and “Til I Forget About You.”

Overall, it was a fun experience that provided me with a great icebreaker to use when meeting new people!

ghost: Re-Imperatour U.S.A.

I saw Ghost on Aug. 20, 2023, at the Hartford Healthcare Amphitheater in Bridgeport, Connecticut. No matter where you sit, you are relatively close to the stage at this smaller venue.

Ghost is a rock band from Sweden. On stage, all of the musicians are in costumes and play characters with their faces obscured. When the band was first created, all of the musicians were anonymous. Though that is no longer the case, their faces remain covered and the lore expands.

The opener at this show was Amon Amarth, another Swedish rock band. Their visuals were unbelievable. At one point, the lead singer, Johan Hegg, started to swordfight a blow-up sea monster!

photo of Ghost concert
Photo by Mikayla Bunnell

Ghost’s set was simple: stairs leading to a high platform for the drums, and other smaller platforms for the keyboardist, guitarists, and background singers. There was very little choreography, except for small skits that related to the story of the band. The performance had costume changes, guitar solos, and a saxophone solo!

The crowd was the loudest during “Mary On A Cross,” which went viral on TikTok in 2022. My personal favorite song was the last of the night, “Square Hammer.” They saved the best for last!

tv girl: Grapes Upon the Vine

I never felt luckier than when I scored tickets to a TV Girl concert. Almost the entire tour sold out within a day.

I saw TV Girl on Oct. 9, 2023, at Toad’s Place in New Haven, Connecticut. The tour was to promote their controversial new album, Grapes Upon the Vine (2023). This album was heavily inspired by gospel music. It differed from previous albums that brought them TikTok fame. I enjoyed this change.

I had heard previously that TV Girl’s concerts were not good; I can confirm that those rumors are not true (at least, for me). They were incredible.

photo of TV Girl concert
Photo by Mikayla Bunnell

When he wasn’t singing, Brad Petering (no, TV Girl is not a girl), kept the audience laughing with his lighthearted, somewhat desperate attempts to get people to buy a copy of Grapes Upon the Vine. He even threw a record into the crowd!

The concert was general admission, meaning there were no seats. By the end, the audience were all quick friends, having sung and danced with each other all night!

the 1975: At their very best

I saw The 1975 on Nov. 3, 2022, at Mohegan Sun Arena in Uncasville, Connecticut. This was the opening show of the tour promoting their newest album Being Funny In a Foreign Language (2022).

The set was made to look like a house, complete with different rooms for each of the musicians and a large living room for Matty Healy, the lead singer, to dance in. There was even a roof on the house, which Healy climbed up to at one point.

I was sitting in the nosebleeds — the upper seats in an arena. I had a great view of the stage that allowed me to appreciate the set, the band, and the audience.

photo of The 1975 concert
Photo by Mikayla Bunnell

Since this was a tour-opening show, I had no idea what to expect from the setlist. They played songs from their new album, as well as popular songs from previous albums. As the tour went on, the band rotated the setlist. Almost every show had different songs.

greta van fleet: Dreams in gold

I saw Greta Van Fleet on October 7, 2022, at Mohegan Sun Arena, supporting their album The Battle at Garden’s Gate (2021).

GVF had two openers: Robert Finley and Houndmouth. They were both incredible performers that I still have in heavy rotation on my playlists.

The concert opened with a beautiful speech by the lead singer, Josh Kiszka. Then the curtain dropped, flames shot out of the back of the stage, and the show began. I was mesmerized. There were drum solos, guitar solos, and a call-and-response bit with a harmonica and Kiszka!

photo of a Greta Van Fleet concert
Photo by Mikayla Bunnell

During a ten-minute drum solo, Kiszka rode on the shoulders of a security guard and handed out white roses to fans in the front row.

For every show, GVF enlisted local artists to create a special poster to commemorate each show. The poster would only be sold at that show. It was a great way to promote local artists and to add another element of connection between the artist and the audience!

Concerts are surely a worthwhile investment. Every concert I’ve been to has been an incredible experience, but these shows were my favorite. All of these bands make incredible music, and I highly recommend you take a listen!

Mikayla Bunnell is a freshman at the University of Connecticut. She is double majoring in Journalism and Political Science, and hopes to pursue a career as a political journalist after graduation. In her free time, Mikayla enjoys weightlifting, listening to music, thrifting, and making Dunkin' Donuts trips. She is also an avid reader- she'll love to talk about books with you!