This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Since May 2023, I have committed to a plant-based diet. My choice came from a place of wanting to lower my carbon footprint and reduce animal suffering. Throughout the months, there have been so many unexpected benefits to my decision. As a vegan, I find that my skin is clearer, I no longer deal with bloating or sinus congestion, and my gut health has improved. Plus, I’m eating far more fruits and vegetables than I used to. And yes, I get more than enough protein!

Below, check out a few of my favorite vegan meals (listed in no particular order) to make as a college student with limited kitchen space and a weekly grocery budget. As a note, I tend to avoid “fake” meats and cheeses. But you can feel free to add them to any of my recipes!

1) Tofu quesadillas

These high-protein tofu quesadillas are perfect for breakfast or lunch, and they only require one pan! First, slice up (or crumble) your tofu and let it heat up on a stove-top pan. Then, add in sliced tomatoes and spinach. You can also sprinkle in dairy-free cheese and nutritional yeast — when they melt into the tofu, it will taste like scrambled eggs. You only need to heat everything for about five minutes before it’s ready to serve.

Ingredients: Extra-firm tofu, mini whole wheat tortillas, tomatoes, spinach, nutritional yeast

Add Ons: Dairy-free cheese (the Trader Joe’s Spicy Mexican Style Blend is my favorite), salsa, and guacamole

2) black bean taco bowl

I find this meal to be filling enough for dinner with black beans as my main source of protein. However, you can also add extra-firm tofu or chickpeas to get some extra protein! This meal is super easy — simply heat up a can of black beans in a pot, fry your veggies together on a stove-top pan, and add it all to a bowl of brown rice.

Ingredients: Black beans, brown rice, peppers, corn, onions

Add Ons: Salsa, guacamole, vegan tortilla chips, dairy-free cheese, tofu, chickpeas

3) Brown rice Pasta Bowl

I should probably mention that I also avoid gluten when I can, so I opt to use brown rice pasta instead of regular pasta. Arguably, it’s better for you, and it tastes just as good! This meal is super easy to make and filled with lots of veggies. Simply boil your pasta, warm your veggies in a stove-top pan with sauce, and add it all together.

Ingredients: Brown rice pasta, roasted garlic marinara sauce, baby bell mushrooms, chopped peppers, broccoli, peas

Add Ons: Nutritional yeast (sprinkle over the sauce for a Parmesan-like texture). Sometimes, I’ll sub broccoli for spinach.

4) Dairy-Free Pizza

Looking for a delicious, dairy-free pizza? I absolutely love the gluten-free cauliflower crusts from Trader Joe’s. All you need to do is pour your sauce and veggies on the frozen crust, then stick it in the oven for fifteen minutes! Plus, you can sprinkle on dairy-free mozzarella if you still want the texture of cheese.

Ingredients: Cauliflower pizza crust, marinara sauce, peppers, mushrooms, onions

Add Ons: Dairy-free mozzarella

5) tofu stir fry

While you cook your brown rice, fry your tofu and veggies together all in one stove-top pan! I like to start with the tofu first so that it has a chance to crispen. (I’m not a fan of soggy tofu. Texture is important!) Then, add in your veggies and drizzle on some Soyaki Sauce.

Ingredients: Extra-firm tofu, brown rice, broccoli, peppers, onions, corn

Add Ons: Trader Joe’s Soyaki Sauce! This combination of soy sauce and teriyaki sauce is amazing! Drizzle it on your rice, tofu, and veggies. I promise it will taste just like you’re eating fried rice at a Hibachi restaurant.

6) vegan chili

Canned soup is great, but if you have some extra time, nothing beats homemade vegan chili. Start by sautéing your veggies and spices. Then stir in your beans, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Let the soup simmer until all the flavors combine. It shouldn’t take you longer than 30 minutes. You can adjust the ratio of ingredients as needed — I always just eyeball my spices and veggies. That’s the beauty of making soup!

Ingredients: three sticks of celery, three sliced carrots, one diced onion, two cans of drained pinto beans, two cans of drained red kidney beans, vegetable broth, two cans of crushed tomatoes, fake ground beef (optional, it will thicken your chili)

Spices: Garlic powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper

Toppings: Nutritional yeast, crackers, bread and vegan butter

snacks

As a vegan, it sometimes can feel difficult to find filling snacks to eat between meals. Below, here are some of my favorites!

• Hummus and cucumbers (or crackers)
  • Cashew-based yogurt and granola
  • Apples with peanut butter or almond butter
  • Vegan protein bars (Trader Joe’s has so many options!)
  • Banana chia overnight oats

Conclusion

If you are interested in transitioning to a plant-based diet, I encourage you to research more about veganism through trustworthy sources. Without a doubt, going plant-based has changed my life for the better! If you put in a little work and make an effort to cook, you should never feel undernourished or like you are lacking any nutrients as a vegan.

Chloé Hummel is the President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UConn. Chloé enjoys writing articles that help advance the goals of intersectional feminism. She also works as a marketing assistant for Globe Pequot Press in Essex, CT. In her spare time, Chloé enjoys yoga, pilates, and reading fantasy books. She is a passionate vegan, a 70s music enthusiast, and a poor piano player.