This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Meet Monica, president of Engineering Ambassadors and this week’s Campus Celebrity!

Name: Monica Smith
Year: 2014
Major: Mechanical Engineering/German
Hometown: Jupiter, FL

What organizations are you involved in on campus?
I am president of Engineering Ambassadors, a resident assistant for the Eurotech Learning Community. I am also doing undergraduate research in additive manufacturing.

What are your responsibilities as president?
Engineering Ambassadors is an outreach organization. We visit local schools and inspire kids to pursue engineering. I oversee the coordination of all off campus visits and I work on developing new projects. Right now I am working on developing curriculum for a 3-D printing program for afterschool clubs.

What advice would you have for freshmen at UConn?
My advice would be get involved on campus, find what in your major excites you, and reach out to the professors that specialize in that area. Also, get to know your RA, they are an excellent resource, they are there to help you!

What is your favorite part of being an RA?
My favorite part of being an RA is helping younger students get to know Uconn and helping them find their way.

What made you chose engineering and German as a major?
I was always really interested in creative problem solving and I want to make a difference in the world. It is also a great program to get experience abroad. The Eurotech program is a great chance to get exposure to a new culture.

How do you balance being an RA and schoolwork and clubs?
I have a really packed schedule. I plan a lot of my day. The busier I am the more I get done. I make time to relax.

What is your dream job?
I would like to work internationally as an engineer.

Caitlin is a Communication major with minors in Sociology and Women's Studies at the University of Connecticut. She has always loved to write, but she caught the advertising bug at UConn and now dreams of creating ads that people will always remember. When she's not studying mass media or reading advertising blogs, Caitlin loves making collages, riding horses, and surprising people!