Molly Leahy: HuskyTHON Co-Executive Director

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Meet Molly Leahy, one of the Executive Directors of HuskyTHON this year.

Age: 21

Year: Senior                

Major: Speech, Language and Hearing Sciences

Hobbies: Spending time with my four brothers, running, watching Netflix, and of course planning HuskyTHON

How did you first get involved with HuskyTHON?

I got involved with HuskyTHON my Sophomore year as a dancer. I had heard about the event the year before, but really had no idea what it entailed. Once I learned that a few of my friends were participating I knew that it was something that I had to get involved with.  I had no idea that I was about to become a part of something so incredibly special to me.

How did you get this position?

After participating in HuskyTHON as a sophomore I immediately wanted to get more involved. The Management Team seemed like the next step to take. I was fortunate enough to be selected as the Canning Director on the 2015 HuskyTHON Management Team. My experience working with 32 other dedicated UConn students inspired me to want an even bigger leadership positon on the team. I would not be where I am now without my experience on the 2015 team and the support that I have from my Co-Director, Derek, and our program director, Scott.

What are your duties as the Executive Director?

I like to think that Derek and I have the best jobs on the team as Executive Directors. We had the opportunity to interview and select 23 dedicated, top-tier students to be a part of our 2016 Management Team. I collaborate with Derek to oversee everything that our team does. We make most of the final decisions regarding the events, programming, budgeting and other aspects of this event. Everyone on our team is so hard working. Although Derek and I are at the top, HuskyTHON 2016 would not be happening without our team- we really owe everything to them.

What is your favorite part about HuskyTHON?

It is so hard to choose just one thing about HuskyTHON and label it as my favorite. For me, the 18 hours flies by every year. However, I would say that my favorite part is the reveal. It is so special to see a year’s worth of hard work come together. No matter how exhausted the field house may be at that moment, everyone still erupts at the end in celebration of all that we have done, For The Kids.

What advice can you give to people to help get them through the 18 hours?

Attitude is everything. If you let these 18 hours become your best weekend at UConn, then they absolutely will be. Even in the middle of the night when you are starting to feel yourself shut down, do something that will make you smile. Remembering why we are here and how we are doing this FOR THE KIDS will get you through the night!

Do you have any funny stories from previous HuskyTHONs?

I like to think that HuskyTHON can bring out the kid in everyone. I usually do not like to be the center of attention, so I tend to steer clear of participating in activities that have an audience. However, I was feeling bold and decided to do karaoke with my two friends my sophomore year. There is still a video, with dancing and everything- pretty embarrassing.

What is your favorite thing about being a Husky?

I love how even though our school is so big, you can still walk around and always see someone you know. UConn is such a unified school, whether that be through our sports teams, our tiny gym, or programs such as HuskyTHON.

What would you say to students to try and get them to participate in HuskyTHON for the first time?

HuskyTHON is the largest student run philanthropy in New England, and every year we are raising more and more money “For The Kids” at Connecticut Children’s Medical Center. This is an experience that you definitely do not want to miss being a part of. Everyone should participate in HuskyTHON at least once before graduating, and getting started sooner is better, because I guarantee you’ll love it.