Meg McCabe: A UConn Alum

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Meet Meg McCabe: UConn Graduate, Pi Beta Phi Sister, Fashion Model, and Life Coach

I had a chance to sit down with Meg this past week and loved getting a chance to speak with her about her past, present, and future. Her insightful comments and fascinating lifestory kept the conversation running way past our alloted time. Check out our conversation below! 

What exactly do you do and how did you get there?

I’m a life coach! As a coach I’ve dedicated my career to helping young adults experience transformation and healing. Usually, when a client comes to me they have an idea of how they want to change. I provide the guidance and support my clients need so they can make the change they want in their life. The coaching process is centered on personal growth and discovery. I provide clients with the right tools and ask precise questions so they can discover their own answers!

I got here with passion and lots of hard work (but I’ve loved all of it so far)! Being a coach started as a fleeting thought that my brain and my heart wouldn’t let go of. Once I was set on being a coach, I searched for coaches online and reached out to the top three resonated the most with.  My favorite coach responded to me the next day. What was originally meant to be a 20 minute phone call about how to become a coach turned into a year long mentorship.  Coaching tip: No matter what field you’re in it is so valuable to reach out to experts to get your foot in the door!

How did you decide Life Coaching was what you wanted to do?

Before coaching, I worked as a program coordinator at an amazing children’s hospital. I loved my job but I knew I wanted to help people on a more personal/emotional level. I definitely went through a period where I was bouncing from one career idea to the next! One night I was considering a few factors: 1) The lifestyle I want 2) What I’m naturally good at 3) My personal values 4) People I admire. I was really channeling my inner voice. Then, out of nowhere the idea of being a coach popped in my head! Coaching tip: When you have a “crazy” idea in your head, hold on to it and ask yourself, how can I make this happen?

Has the road been an easy one? What have been some of the hurdles you’ve worked through?

Deep down, I know that I was born to be a coach so the road has been mostly an exciting one! The greatest challenge for me was when I was working a full time job and building my business on the side every night. I was working 12-14 hour days! Now that I’ve left my full time job to dedicate more time to coaching I have restored more balance in my life.

I know you were a model, how did that influence your path and profession?

Modeling was my first passion. When I graduated high school, I moved to NYC to have a modeling career. It was so exciting! I walked in New York Fashion Week and got to work with some famous designers and models. However, I also had a really bad eating disorder. I hardly ate anything and if I did I’d beat myself up over it with guilt. I’d throw up my food after almost every meal. It was so unhealthy! I ended up quitting for health reasons and seeing my passion and dream crash and burn in my face (it really felt like the end of the world to me)!

But then I went to UConn and I healed! And I fell in love! And I joined and amazing sorority! And I ate cheesecake again! Modeling taught me about failure, flexibility, resilience, growth, upswings, and listening to my inner voice. It taught me how to value myself. It taught me how awesome it is to go for your dreams. It taught me how to take risks and how great life can be even after you fail. The list goes on and on! The same inner voice that told me to quit modeling was the same inner voice that told me I could be a coach.  My modeling story has shaped my coaching career, without a doubt.

What advice do you have for girls who are trying to figure out what they want to do?

In my new program, 90 Days to Living Your Purpose, I help my clients discover what they want to do with their lives. When I was a senior in college I had NO IDEA what I wanted to do. I’d call my best friend every day so excited to tell her about each new idea I had, but no idea stuck longer than a week or two. If you’re going through a similar experience the first thing I recommend to all my clients is to look at what you do during your alone time! (Texting/Social Media doesn’t count)! How do you choose to spend your alone time? What does doing this do for you? How can you bring the essence of this into your career? For instance, when I was a senior I was obsessed with downloading new songs nobody had ever heard of and making playlists. When I thought about it, I really loved how doing this made me unique. It made me a trailblazer. It was also an expressive outlet. By examining what I do in my alone time, I realized what motivates me! I learned that I value feeling like an individual and creating things. Now I’m an entrepreneur and I’ve created my own coaching business! Individuality and creation are huge parts of my work. See how it works?

If you are a social butterfly and never spend any time alone, I encourage you to set aside some empowered alone time to help you discover what you love to do. Notice the activities you gravitate towards!

Do you have a quote to live by or something that’s inspired you?

I’ve always been inspired my music. The quotes that inspire me are usually from the music I’m listening to. One quote that always gives me chills is from a Led Zeppelin song. I guess the song is kind of depressing to listen to but the quote is, “An’ though the course may change sometimes, rivers always reach the sea.” These words always bring me peace and they resonate with my personal story. I feel that this quote speaks to how life is unpredictable and how we should allow it to be so. Everything we do brings us to the outcome we desire most.

How has it been as an alumna of a sorority?

As an alumna, I’m still in love with my sorority and greek life! My sisters are still my best friends and I’m lucky because many of them live in NYC with me. I still see them all the time! As a coach, most of my clients are or were affiliated with Greek life at some point in their life! My next step is to bring group coaching events to sororities and alumni clubs! I really love sisterhood and say that as a coach and as I Pi Phi, “I have a lifelong commitment to your personal growth.”

If you’re interested in learning more, feel free to contact Meg! She’s super friendly and loves meeting new people.

IG: Meggasus1twitter: @spiritbeamingwebsite: www.spiritbeaming.come-mail:megmccabe@spiritbeaming.comphone: 860-543-0896